Looking to get my first DSLR, some advice is appreciated.

Renae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.m0sf3t.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone (my first post).

I'm still a beginner in photography, but I've been shooting for awhile now. My first camera was a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm and 135mm lens. I now currently still have that and also have a Minolta Maxxum 4 with lenses and a Canon Rebel T2.

Out of all of them, I like my Canon best

I'm looking to trade them in and get a DSLR, instead of film. Since I'm such a beginner, I think being able to see my mistakes that I'm making, as I'm making them will help me to really make a difference in my pictures. Especially since I don't have time in my life right now to take any classes.

But I'm not rich! And I have house payments and loan payments and cable payments.....I'm always stuck between....personal stuff or new stuff for the house.

Well, I got some quotes on what my camera stuff is worth
This what I would sell...
Canon Rebel T2 (body only)
Minolta Maxxum 4 (35-80zoom/70-210zoom)
Pentax K1000 (50mmfixed/135fixed*not quoted)

Well, the total for all of it from a camera reseller (probably can get more on ebay) is $400

So I'm a little curious about these things....
1) Would you sell your Pentax K1000 (my first camera), do I really need a film camera that I probably won't use?

2) I have been looking at the Rebel XT and Rebel XTi, but like I said, money is tight right now. I'm debating whether to get the XT or to save up for something a little more. I also will only have a basic 35-90mm lens for the new camera if I go with another Canon (the one I currently have).

I'm having a hard time letting go of my stuff, because they were gifts, but I really want a DSLR. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decisions and that I am making informed decisions.

Any, and I mean any, help and advice is appreciated.

--
I enjoy macro photography and taking pictures of fences and my cats. I also enjoy just taking random pictures of things I see. And I love personal portraits as well too (which I'm still learning about aperture settings...).

Again, thanks for your input. I hope to look around (when I'm not procrastinating studying) and learn a lot here.

Since you are on a tight budget, you could go for a Pentax K100D, it has built in shake reduction, and is compatible with the two lenses you have for your K1000, and ANY K mount lens ever made. And i believe is a fair bit cheaper than a Canon Rebel.

Whichever digital you choose, sell everything else that isn't lens compatible. IMHO.

If you did go with the Pentax digital, for example, you might want to hang on to your K1000. Not only can you take great pictures with it, but you can also use it as a hammer around the house.

Whichever digital you choose, sell everything else that isn't lens compatible. IMHO.

If you did go with the Pentax digital, for example, you might want to hang on to your K1000. Not only can you take great pictures with it, but you can also use it as a hammer around the house.

It is quite the tank, but I do love it. I think I am going to go for the Rebel XT (though the Nikon D40 is tempting too), because a camera body with no lens is about as useful as a speed boat with no anchor. And right now, I can't afford any new lenses.

Thanks for the advice.

Cant go wrong with a previously loved XT for the price they are selling for now.

Why bother selling when you will get nothing for it??. I like having my old gear around but mabye that is just me I am sort of a collector.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back