Looking to go digital - what should I get?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by butterflygirl, Feb 21, 2007.

1. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello!

I currently have a film EOS Canon Rebel but hope to go digital. What camera would you recommend. I'd like to stay with a Canon, but am not sure what's good. What type of flash would you recommend as well? Right now I have a Pro Master 5500 flash. I already have 75-300 mm lens and the 28-90 mm lens.

I'm hoping to get into wedding photography/studio work. But as you can probably tell, I'm just getting started. I'm thinking I'll spend $500 to $1,000 - I hope. And I want a DSLR.

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe the Canon 30d? Yes/no?

Thanks!

2. ericande

ericande TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    30d is a great camera. You may want to either buy a wider-angle lens, or get a 17-70 lens and sell the 28-90. With the crop factor of the 30d your 28-90 will behave more like a 44mm on the wide end.

3. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The flash for a 30d could cost you as much as the camera, being Canon, I use the Canon 430EX on my EOS 350D, this can act as a slave too, but this is the cheaper flash, the new 400D is a nice camera, but again this will eat up the $1000 I think ( Im from UK and they are aroud £500 )

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Canon Rebel XT (350D) (discontinued) and the Rebel XTi (400D) would be very similar to your film camera. They are very good cameras and would be a good starting point. The 30D is the next step up in the Canon line...although, the XTi is a newer camera than the 30D. The 30D is bigger and the body is stronger. The controls and displays are laid out differently and the features are slightly different. The 30D is a fair bit more expensive as well. Which is best for you? That's for you to decide. I suggest holding both of them. The Rebels are small and light...too small and light for some. I've got a couple of 20Ds (the model before the 30D) and I love them.

The 30D would already blow your budget and leave you no room for a flash or an upgraded lens. The lens that usually comes with either of these cameras is the EF-S 18-55. It's an OK lens...but I wouldn't dare shoot a wedding professionally with it. It might be a good lens to start with though.

If you do plan on doing this professionally...then you will need to consider your long term budget and investment. For weddings, you will need two cameras, two flash units and two lenses that would work. Having good quality lenses will also be very beneficial...and those can cost as much or more than the camera. Then there are all the other things like batteries, memory etc....the list goes on and on. Not that you need all that stuff now...but it's something to think about.

I'm not sure if your Promaster flash will work with a new digital camera. Is in an auto flash? The best flash for theses cameras is the Canon 580EX which isn't as much as the camera...but it's still fairly expensive. The 430EX is still pretty good but cheaper.

Anyway...if you want to get into weddings sooner...then you will probably have to increase your budget. If you just want to start by moving to digital for now...then you should be OK with the XTi or the 30D.

Also, there will be a big international camera show coming up in March. There may be new models released and/or the price of existing models may drop. So you may want to hold off for a few weeks.

5. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks so much!

I'm not looking to get into weddings immediately. I'm actually interning under someone right now. I just want to get started. So I guess it's a good idea! There's so much to think about.

Does anyone know if my Rebel lens will fit the 30d or Xti? Just wondering...

Also Big Mike, do you know when that show is going to take place?

Thanks!

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The PMA Show

Yes, absolutely it will. However, the sensor in these DSLR cameras in question...is smaller than 35mm film, which the lens was designed for. So imagine the circle that the lens projects into the camera...just covering the film. Now imagine the sensor, it's slightly smaller than the film. The projected image is the same size...but the sensor only sees the middle part. Thus the image is 'cropped'. We call this the 'crop factor'...and if you search this forum, or the internet in general...you can read about 'crop factor' till the show in March ;).

So what does that mean to you? The crop factor on these cameras is 1.6...which will make your lenses 'feel' like they are 1.6 time longer, when used on the digital body. So your 28-90mm lens...will 'feel' like what a 45-145mm would be on a film camera. This is good for the telephoto (long) end...but it makes it hard to get a wide angle view. That's why the kit lens is 18-55mm. 18mm would be ultra wide on your film camera...but on the digital body...it will be just about the same as your 28mm on your film camera.

7. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    But also beware of the Digital Range offered by stockists, as they will only fit "cropped cameras "

The Sigma 10-20mm will only suit digi ( at 16 - 32 )

So I dont know why they dont say 16 - 32

Keep Smiling

Sorry thats for 1.6 crop

8. dinodan

dinodan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Because the focal length is 10-20mm. It's the camera that's "seeing" it differently than 35mm. (as Big Mike described so well in his post).

By the way, I have one of those Sigma 10-20 lenses. I really like it!

Nikon always give a 1.5 conversion factor. Is that just their way of rounding off (easier to calculate), or are Canon sensors slightly smaller?

9. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's it.

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :roll: Not this again.

Dinodan is right...it says 10 to 20mm because it is 10 to 20mm. It's the camera that is different.

11. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Canon 10-22 and it is indeed that focal length although acts more like a 16-35 on a 20D or other 1.6x camera. THe fact that this lens only fits 1.6x cameras does make it sound odd Steve but if you could amend (which I believe some have done) it will act like a 10mm lens on a FF camera (although it will be a small image circle).

So your Sigma is indeed a 10-20mm lens.

12. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I have finally decided on how exactly I will convert to digital.
    I have a Canon Rebel 2000 35mm.
    I've decided on the XTi. For lenses I'm probably going to go with Tamron 70-300 with a 1.4x teleconverter. I'm not worried about losing the wide angle because I've been using 28-80mm for a couple years now and want to get into longer lenses.

I've done hours and hours of extensive research online.
    I've decided to buy the camera from adorama I think.
    B&H camera is $739.95 + $33.00 S&H ($772.95)
    adorama is $679.95 + $57.50 S&H ($737.45)

The lens I'll get from B&H ($189.99 + 22.25) (adorama $163.95 + $52.00)
    And the teleconverter from B&H as well.

The XTi is 10.1 MP and is cheaper than the... 30D (I think) which is 8 MP I believe.
    I imagine the 30d is a bit heavier and sturdier but I like light weight for when I'm hiking and stuff.