Looking to possibly get into Medium Format

I'd only toss out here to be careful before committing to 6x6 - but that's my personal bias. I find it more difficult to compose for square format, even allowing for cropping later. My husband does great, though, so again, it's just personal preference, and something to consider before purchase. For me, it's easier to compose and enlarge 645 or 6x7. I personally find 645 a near perfect format. :love: I also dislike the limitation of the twin lens reflex, though admittedly it's a heck of a lot easier to carry around.

It's understanding what's important to you that matters. Nothing wrong with literally making a pro + con list for various setups, if that helps guide your decision making. Good luck!

I've researched a bit and going to go with 35mm to gain some kind of background in film. My parents gave me their old film camera. It is isn't great...but I don't want great right now. Will post some shots once I get to that point.

A local friend of mine that shoots medium and large format has offered to sell me a Mamiya C330 (not sure exact model) with carrying case, 7 lenses, and some other pieces for in the ballpark of 450 dollars.

Am I fool if I pass this up given quality of glass and camera is high? He's not the type to throw me under the bus, I am really simply curious of market value on something like this. I'm not sure the exact glass, but its a large assortment.

GrantH said:
A local friend of mine that shoots medium and large format has offered to sell me a Mamiya C330 (not sure exact model) with carrying case, 7 lenses, and some other pieces for in the ballpark of 450 dollars.

Am I fool if I pass this up given quality of glass and camera is high? He's not the type to throw me under the bus, I am really simply curious of market value on something like this. I'm not sure the exact glass, but its a large assortment.

I got my C330 with blue spot 80mm for £150 but that was a bargain im not sure they even made 7 lenses for it, it is a great camera to use. Just done a quick google and there was 7 lenses

Unless it's messed up somehow, this is a steal.

Check the completed listings on Ebay under "Mamiya C330". Sort by highest price, and you'll see camera with multiple lenses and case kits that sold and for what price (WELL over $400). As you scroll down to see lower prices, the number of lenses drop off, as do the inclusion of the case and other accessories.

It's a fantastic MF camera, and if I were you, I'd snap up that deal from your friend.

Mine:

Mamiya_C330_4212-red-backgroudn.jpg

Awesome. I'm going to do my best to pick it up as my Christmas gift.

GrantH said:
Awesome. I'm going to do my best to pick it up as my Christmas gift.

You wont be dissapointed ive got the 80mm and 135mm and they are very sharp ill try and post some examples when i get home

I did a lot of wedding photograpahy back in the 60's and 70s. One year was over 100 weddings. I used mainly Yashica Mats. Over the years I had about 5-6 of them with varying lens qualities. The one I kept was the sharpest lens I ever had on one. The old Rollei was no sharper than this one but, it did take 5 others to match on quality. I always carried a spare camera & flash just in case. I would take 48-60 pictures for people to select 24 for their album. It was a difficult pick for many of them. One of my Granddaughters got married last summer and had to choose from over 900 pictures. Digital seems to have taken the skill out of photography. You just keep shooting and sooner or later one of the pictures will be good. *I did a lot of slides for personal use over the years. (There are about 12,000 iin my office) As I went to automatic cameras and then auto focus I found the quality of my pictures was deteriorating. Takiing the time to set everything meant thinkiing about what you were doing. In the beginning of the wedding business everything was B&W and I learned to oil color a special one of the bride for most couples. Eventually color took over the entire business. I have the Yashica Mat 124 loaded with b&W right now and also a 635 Yashica loaded with 35mm. I haven't used any for the last 3 hours. My Marshalls photo oils are still good after all these years so that is my next attempt for tomorrow. I shot my Grandson and wil attempt to oil color again.

I found that shooting with film has slowed me down and made me think more about what and how I shoot. Now I take 3 or 4 shots and the first one is often the better one. I recently started 4X5 and that is another learning curve. I mainly shoot with a DSLR using a manual Rikenon 50mm lens. I also got myself a lightmeter which helps a whole lot. My technique is the same using film or digital, fully manual. On a side note, the feel of using a big bulky fully mechanical SLR is, I must admit, a lot of fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back