Looking to start photo business, need some help

Depends it you charge $40 for an 8X10.
You are not selling your prints at cost I hope.

One 8X10 with me is $40, or they can get two 5X7 or put the credit towards a larger print.

The point you want to allow them to have some choice. you can make the print credit for whatever you charge for an 8X10 or any other amount you want.

I do mark up my photos to make a profit but nowhere near that high. My question is, If I can't even get someone to book with me for $75, how can I expect them to pay $40 foran 8x10?

If I can't even get someone to book with me for $75, how can I expect them to pay $40 foran 8x10?

That is where your thinking is wrong,
1) I do make money from prints, but making money is not a bad thing
2) If your customers will not pay what you need to stay in business, then get different customer or get in a different business.

You need to figure out why they will not book with you, I might help to attend a PPA meeting and look at joining a professional association, where you can talk to people in your market.

Well...you being a photographer as well

Well, you being a photographer as well...why do you think they wont book?

I actually had a woman book me to shoot her sons senior photos but then after she said its a go...all of a sudden she said "Oh the date we decided on won't work, I'll have to get back to you with a date that does." Then she stopped responding to me.

I'm just so frustrated that no one will book with me. I really need this and it's hard to get something started. Around my area I see tons of really bad photographers getting all the business. I know my stuff is good, all the pros have told me so and loved my shots. So,why can't I get anyone to see that my work is worth paying for instead of going to those "Family shoot for $25 and you'll get a disk of high res images" people? All they go for is the really cheap awful photography from amateurs.

Ok, because you asked, I will start with the small and move up. Some of these are nit picking, but you asked.

1) You have your own domain, but you use a gmail address for your contact. You need to set up email for your domain. Using gmail shows lack of commitment to your customers.

2) Everything in your about section of your website lets me know that this is a part time gig for you, you have another day job so if you don’t make it no big deal and you touch very little on your past experience, but you did get a new camera in 2008, so I must assume that is how long you have been shooting. Again this does not scream consumer confidence.

3) In your FAQ, do people really ask you if you will work hard to create some great shots for them? You should have that dedicated more to what people need to do to prep for the different types of photoshoots.

4) You need to reduce the volume of images in your galleries; one or two of your strongest images for each model would be lots. As well you need to get some images in portraits, it is hard for someone to book you for portraits when the section on your website just says coming soon.

5) Post your prices, I think customers like to know what they are going to pay. Even if they are just a starting point and the package can be customized, if they have no idea what it will cost, they will not call.

6) "Oh the date we decided on won't work, I'll have to get back to you with a date that does." Then she stopped responding to me” Well that could mean that they want to cancel but don’t want to come out and say it, or it could mean a lot of things. Just send them a nice email letting them know that should they care to rebook in the future you will be happy to work with them and move on.

7) “So, why can't I get anyone to see that my work is worth paying for instead of going to those "Family shoot for $25 and you'll get a disk of high res images" people? All they go for is the really cheap awful photography from amateurs.
” Because your customers have not been educated to the difference, not just in image quality, but also to services offered. You need to teach them that you sell a superior product and then show them. List your products you can offer, (Canvas, Books, Prints, Framing etc) let them know if ever there is a problem with a product whether it is a week from now or 5 years from now you will make it right.

You need to create a strong presence that lets your customers know you are here to support them and you will do what it takes to get the job done. As I stated before I would look into the local chapter of the PPA, when I joined the PPOC (Canada) it changed my business dramatically and it changed the type of clients I had.

This is really great advice. I also want to add, don't act desperate no matter how much you want/need the shoot. After two years of groveling and begging, I am a little more distant to my potential clients. After a gazillion shoots and perfecting my style, people are a little less concerned about my price because they know they WILL NOT get my quality at Target or with a MWAC.

Some people can see the difference but still won't pay for it. Oh well, they can have fun at Target ;)

You are trying to pick up some really tough clients. If the client has "model stats" and heading to an agency they do not need a portfolio. If the client is heading in a different direction great photos WOW factor included are easy to get. Even then a great book is only semi important. For every model there is 10 photographers. Plus models have no money.

Your best bet is to contact agencies, magazines, clothing companies or anyone even remotely related to the industry. You can not wait for clients to come to you. You must go out there and get them. Takes a lot of networking and plain old leg work.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back