Looking to teach my self over the summer and need some tips

Evil Money

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so I've only took photo and digital 1 my last year of high school just now and I'm looking to go into the navy as a photographer and wanna teach myself some stuff over before I go in.

What do you guys recomend and what tips do you have?

Get a decent camera.

Learn about exposure.

See the world as if you're always looking through a viewfinder.

Practice, practice, practice.

Thanks. Only camera I have available to me is the one my cell. But I have looked up how to get decent pics with them and is doing alright for now.

What's exposure?

And I plan on plenty of practice I just want to be able to practice right.

I like landscapes and so far they seem easier to find good pictures for, but would like some basics for getting good pictures of landscapes and even more for people as subjects. I have no idea where to start with people and I'm more interested in that then landscapes.

Thanks. Only camera I have available to me is the one my cell. But I have looked up how to get decent pics with them and is doing alright for now.

What's exposure?

And I plan on plenty of practice I just want to be able to practice right.

I like landscapes and so far they seem easier to find good pictures for, but would like some basics for getting good pictures of landscapes and even more for people as subjects. I have no idea where to start with people and I'm more interested in that then landscapes.

There is a thread in the Beginner's Forum where some guy has put together some amazing shots with a cell phone camera, so it's definitely possible to make a cell cam work.

Here is some good reading on exposure. There is also a highly recommended book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen worth your time.

Easiest way to start is with static objects. When you start working with subjects that move, it becomes a whole new ball game. A cell cam may pose more problems in this aspect because you have so little control of the operations of it. I shoot with my Iphone all the time though, and often love the fact I can just point and shoot. Apparently the new iphone has autofocus, zoom and video so the gap between good cameras and cell phones is being closed with every release of a new smart phone.

X2 on Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson, I am reading it now. I also recommend Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book" series. 2 volumes are out right now, with a 3rd volume due in August (already pre-ordered mine).

Thanks. Only camera I have available to me is the one my cell. :confused:

What's exposure? Exposure is the picture. Exposure is controlled by the lens aperture, the shutter speed and the sensors sensitivity to light called ISO. Photography is mostly about controlling light.

And I plan on plenty of practice I just want to be able to practice right. You can't practice right with only a cell phone for a camera because you have no control of the exposure, but you can practice.........composition.

I like landscapes and so far they seem easier to find good pictures for, but would like some basics for getting good pictures of landscapes and even more for people as subjects. I have no idea where to start with people and I'm more interested in that then landscapes. :confused:
For people pictures start here:
40 Rules For Great Portraits.

Thanks for all the help guys.:biggrin:

And yeah, I meant practicing composition. I'm sure a-school will teach me everything else I need to know. And thanks for the links, I'll read over them now.

Portratiures wasn't really what I was looking for, but I'm reading over for any tips it might have, you never know.

I'm more intersted in capturing people in certian situations, instead of portraits.

Um, here's a link of to photographers in the field I'm looking to go into and there work if that helps. I like Michael Larson's photos and love Arlo Abrahamson's photos.

CombatCamera - Military Photographers

If you want to learn compostion, you might want to look into art books instead of just photography. Or better yet, go take a 2D design and color theory type class at your local college. I was lucky in that I spent a couple of years as a fine art major before switching to graphic design. I know that my photos have benefited a lot from the things I learned in my art classes. Some of these things are taught in photo classes, but they usually don't go into as much detail as other art classes. There are just so many technical aspects that have to be covered in photography.

Once you get a camera shoot EVERYDAY. If you don't know what you're doing you'll figure it out. Read your manual, make mistakes and have success.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back