Looking to try MF, any suggestions?

Couple more questions for you guys, if you dont mind.
I am leaning toward the Mamiya TLR cameras now, I think the interchangeable lenses might be fun.
Are the differences between the C220 and the C330 worth the price difference?
Is it better to buy from somewhere like KEH and possibly pay a little more, or save a little and take the chance w/ ebay?
I haven't completely ruled out the Yashica 124, depends on price I suppose.
Thanks in advance.

Well, congrats on getting the Zeiss Nettar for a little bit of nothing, price-wise! The lens is only an f/6.3, and the top shutter speed is only 1/200 second, and you will have to estimate distances and set them on the footage scale, but hey--it's a super-compact, 120 rollfilm folder!!!!! Oughtta' be a BLAST!!!!! NO EXCUSE not to take it with you for the next few weeks! people will FLOCK TO YOU when using it...you will feel like Borat....errr. I mean, like Brad Pitt...you will draw crowds of onlookers...maybe even a MF folder groupie or two (wink!)

Make sure to remain STEADY....or even use on of them new-fangled tri-pawd thingies, to keep the camera steady.

I am aware of the limitations of that camera, but thought it might be fun to play around with. Even if it doesn't take that great of pictures I'm sure it will look great on the shelf next to the others that dont work anymore, lol.
Your sarcasm kills me Derrel, but nothing to add on the other questions? I do respect your knowledge and experience.
Thanks

All one really "needs" is film; the 124G has an on-board light meter powered by a small mercury battery, which I believe is no longer available.

I didn't read through all the responses so sorry if this is repetitive, but I successfully replaced the mercury battery in my Yashica-Mat 124G with a 675 1.4V hearing aid battery with a piece of 12 guage electrical copper wire wrapped in a circle around the battery. Battery meter now works no problems.

Cool, that's a good trick to know.
I have won a bid for a Yashica 124, just waiting to hear from the seller.

I am aware of the limitations of that camera, but thought it might be fun to play around with. Even if it doesn't take that great of pictures I'm sure it will look great on the shelf next to the others that dont work anymore, lol.
Your sarcasm kills me Derrel, but nothing to add on the other questions? I do respect your knowledge and experience.
Thanks

No sarcasm was intended. Repeat NO SARCASM WAS INTENDED. Can you come to grips with that? RE-READ IT.

I congratulated you on scoring s cool rollfilm folder for almost no cash outlay. It will be a blast to shoot with. And people WILL FLOCK to you when you take the damned thing out. I actually own a few folders. I KNOW from experience what they are like to actually carry and SHOOT. THey draw attention like crazy. Sorry you mistook my genuine enthusiasm and some light-hearted banter as sarcasm. I was writing my post above when you were writing your question about the C220 vs C330. I have no response to that question.

I wasn't offended, Derrel, not in the least
I was laughing when I wrote the response, I honestly don't know what expectations to have from the folder, but should be fun.

Well I won a bid for a good looking Yashica 124. Waited for info on shipping from the seller, I finally got my answer.....
His "helper" dropped my camera while packing for shipping, not what I wanted to hear.
The seller quickly refunded my money, but that still leaves me looking for an other medium format camera.
Would it be worth it to buy from KEH and get something that has been gone through?
Do you know of any other reputable dealers of used medium format gear?

You could see what b&h has. There used to be a place called Pacific Rim, they used to have all sorts of cool stuff.

I have had Rolleis, Yashicas of many various models and also a couple of Minolta Autocord. Arter 6 Yashica 124 I kept the one with a great lens. The ones that were consistent were the couple of Autocords that I owned. They are not as common but are top quality. I got rid of mine because I didn't like the bottom focusing lever when all of my others were side knobs. I was out today with the 124G and the 635. The 635 is the one that takes both 120 and 35mm film. I happen to have the 35mm adapter, which is rare, and now it is loaded with 35mm. I like the format of the 75mm lens as a moderate tele with vertical format.

Most reactions

Back