Looks like I am going digital..

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Will Brink, May 14, 2009.

1. Will Brink

Will Brink TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    As a typical late adopter of technology, I think it's time for me to go fully digital. Right now, I have a Nikon F100 body and Tamron 28-75mm 1.28 lens, a combo I have been very happy with for most uses. Have a snap shot digital camera, the Sony cybershot 8.1. Now that much of my stuff is 'net based, mags I work with and or web sites now preferring digital over slides, the point and shoot I own not cutting it, my favorite printer going under, etc, etc, all things point (for me) to going digital.

I have worked a little bit with photoshop learning the basics, and don't feel like I am cheating anymore....yes, old school I know. :confused:

At the moment, I have narrowed my choice to a Nikon D90, and keeping the Tamron lens. Any use this lens/body combo? I was told the Tamron would work fine with the D90, but have not tested it yet.

Will probably put the F100 up for sale, so it will pop up in the WTS section at some point.

Regards

2. fast1

fast1 TPF Noob!

well i am supporting your decision... good choice on making that transition[​IMG]

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

The Tamron lens should work fine, although there have been reports of some older 'off brand' lenses not working with newer DSLR cameras and needing to be re-chipped.

Are you aware of the 'crop factor'?
    Basically, a camera like the D90 has an image sensor that is smaller than a frame of 35mm film. So what the camera sees, is less of the image than your film camera does, for the same focal length. The extra is basically cropped off by the camera.
    HERE is an example.

The crop factor for that camera is 1.5. So if you want to compare the field of view (for a specific focal length) of this camera, to your film camera, you just apply the factor.
    So your 28-75mm lens, would feel like a 42-113mm lens.

If that doesn't work for you, then you might want to get a wider lens, something like 17-55mm. Or you could get a 'full frame' DSLR like the D700.

4. Will Brink

Will Brink TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanx for the info. I had heard of the crop factor but was not sure exactly how it applied. Your example above explains it well. A 42-113mm would probably work just fine for me, as long as the lens works with the body and the quality of the pic is not effected.

5. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    As that is a film lens, you'll actually get more out of it on a digital body. With a smaller image pane, you're using the center-most part of the lens, so you'll have better corner quality in your digital photos.

6. Will Brink

Will Brink TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting. Corner quality was the only negative I had read about that lens in reviews, so that would be great!

7. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know what your budget is, but if you can write it off as a business expense, look into the D700, it is pretty much the digital F100. Not to mention, your lenses will work exactly as they should.

8. Will Brink

Will Brink TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What's the major differences of note between the two?

9. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D700 has a 'full frame' sensor, which besides the FOV you would expect, also gives you outstanding image quality, especially at higher ISO levels.

The D700 is also a step above the D90 in the Nikon Family (I'm not sure of all the features, I'm a Canon shooter).

The D90 does shoot HD video though, if that is something you are interested in.

10. Will Brink

Will Brink TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't care about the movie aspect, that's what my movie cam is for... This does give me something to think about as it's not a huge difference in price.

11. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If the price difference isn't a big issue for you...I'd suggest the D700 in a minute.

IMO, it may be the best 'all around' professional level DSLR available today (for less than $4000). (And like I said...I'm a Canon guy :confused: )

12. Will Brink

Will Brink TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Price is always an issue, but I have learned the hard way many times before, do it right the first time or be unhappy. My original idea was the get a decent intermediate camera (such as the Lumix g1) and use that as a major step up from the point and shoot and keep my f100 for "serious" stuff, but the more I thought about that, the less sense it made, so what ever I replace the f100 with should be at least the equiv of the f100 in abilities/quality. I had thought the n90 would fit that roll, but perhaps not. It's a few hundred extra or so for the D700 from what I am seeing on the 'net so far, so I will have to give that consideration.