Losing quality when converting to JPG (a lot of quality)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Moe, May 7, 2009.

1. Moe

Moe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I hate to even ask this with so many RAW, etc. threads out there, but I did quite a search and couldn't come up with a good answer. I have a picture taken in RAW, processed in CS3 and saved as tiff. In order to post it to flickr, I must then convert it to jpg. When I converted it to jpg, the quality was quite decreased. Colors, brightness, sharpness, etc. were all pretty bad. I realize that there may be some loss in quality, but this conversion was exceptionally bad. This has happened before but not to this degree. (if so, then I could blame the conversion on bad photos :D) I use FastStone Photo Resizer. I have the quality settings as high as they'll go. I even tried the conversion more than once. Obviously I can't post examples. However, if I can get it converted in better quality, then I will. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why don't you use CS3 to save as jpeg? And where do the photos look bad, on the net or your computer?

3. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Could you post a sample picture?

Why are you using FastStone Photo Resizer instead of PS CS3 to do the resizing?

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the others. If you have CS3, saving a JPEG for uploading is very easy.

It seems to me that most of the 'poor quality JPEGs when uploaded' problems come about when people try to upload image files that are too large and they get automatically resized somewhere along the line.
    But if you resize and compress the image yourself, before uploading to the web, there shouldn't be any problems because if the files are small enough, they should bypass any automatic resizing.

In CS3, try the 'save for web' option.

5. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you viewing these photos (and noticing the difference) all on your laptop, in the image editors? Or are you uploading the jpeg and THEN looking at it in a browser? That could easily be the source of your problems -- either (as others have mentioned) automatic scaling and compression from your photo hosting service, or a non-color-managed web browser.

6. Enem178

Enem178 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

+2

7. Moe

Moe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am converting them and viewing them on my computer. I haven't uploaded them yet.

I'm a little embarrassed that I was unaware of the save for web option. I usually work with the RAW then use Save as... which doesn't give me a jpg option, only tiff, psd, etc. It is also easier to save as tiff (which I want because it's lossless), then batch convert to jpg for uploading, rather than save as tiff, then save as jpg (of course I could be ignorant of something in that department, as well). Perhaps that's what I'll start doing.

I am currently at work, so I'll try later. If it makes a difference, I'll post the 2 pictures.

Another question: how much decrease in quality should I expect from the conversion to jpg from tiff? I usually convert to 800 pixels on the longest side for viewing here, could that be part of it? Sorry for the long posts, but thank you for taking the time!

8. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you save as Jpeg with max quality, it will be difficult to notice any difference in quality from a tiff, but you wouldn't want to go back and edit the jpeg and save again. If you're working from RAW and not getting the save as jpeg option, convert the image to 8bit from 16bit, then it should give you the option.

9. Moe

Moe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks! I'll try that and compare the results.

10. Moe

Moe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, so I saved it as a jpg using the save for web option. I was still unable to do it by changing it to 8 bit. Here's the difference. It's not that dramatic between these two jpg's, but still the difference between even the better jpg and the tiff is easily discernable, especially with regards to color.

The CS3 jpg:

[​IMG]

The Fast Stone jpg:

[​IMG]

The main differences are the sand, the rust on the structure, and the small bit of ocean. I wish I could post the jpg. Maybe I'm making too big a deal of this. It's not like this photo is going to win any awards, it's just that I want my photos to be the best they can be. Anyone else have this problem?

Any C&C on the photo is welcome.

11. biancarose

biancarose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a quick question, what size would you all suggest to resize the pictures to before uploading?

12. peterkipl35

peterkipl35 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nice, the differences are easy to see