Loss leaders and why shooting for free has made me a lot of money!

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As most of you know I've been working on my Veteran's Portrait Project for a number of years now and have created many portraits for local Veterans. The premise is simple: Any serving or retired member of the Canadian Armed Forces who sits for me will receive a free portrait session and a complimentary 8x10 print of their choice from that session. During these sessions I do absolutely NO selling. I don't suggest or recommend additional prints or offer discounts etc. Typically, about a third of clients ask if they can purchase additional prints. I tell them that they certainly can, and give them prices for standard sizes.

Once they receive their print, at least half immediately place an additional order; usually not a large one, typically <$100, and about half of those place a second order usually 2-3 months later for at least $100 - $150. As well, close to a third of those who don't order immediately call me within six weeks to place an order in the $100 - $150 range.

While that in and of itself is not a huge amount of money it does make a venture that is done with the intent of saying, "Thank-you" a profitable one. What is better however is that in a number of cases, this has led to large jobs, including business portraits for CEOs, large events, and weddings.

The moral of the story is: Don't be afraid to shoot for free, BUT always make sure that it's clear why you are shooting for free. If people think you're doing it for the heck of it, you will quickly become 'that guy who does free portraits (or events, or whatever)' and getting paid work will be very difficult. If on the other hand you have a cause and purpose to your free work, and you let the clients come to you with the paid work, it can be very profitable indeed!

The moral of the story is: Don't be afraid to shoot for free, BUT always make sure that it's clear why you are shooting for free. If people think you're doing it for the heck of it, you will quickly become 'that guy who does free portraits (or events, or whatever)' and getting paid work will be very difficult. If on the other hand you have a cause and purpose to your free work, and you let the clients come to you with the paid work, it can be very profitable indeed!
yup!
Struggling with this...

yup!
Struggling with this...
Try the old, "I want to try a new lighting/posing/whatever idea and was wondering if you'd mind sitting for me" idea. This way people think they're doing you a favour, so of course you wouldn't charge, because they're helping you with research. When they come to you however, there is no such expectation.

As most of you know I've been working on my Veteran's Portrait Project for a number of years now and have created many portraits for local Veterans. The premise is simple: Any serving or retired member of the Canadian Armed Forces who sits for me will receive a free portrait session and a complimentary 8x10 print of their choice from that session. During these sessions I do absolutely NO selling. I don't suggest or recommend additional prints or offer discounts etc. Typically, about a third of clients ask if they can purchase additional prints. I tell them that they certainly can, and give them prices for standard sizes.

Once they receive their print, at least half immediately place an additional order; usually not a large one, typically <$100, and about half of those place a second order usually 2-3 months later for at least $100 - $150. As well, close to a third of those who don't order immediately call me within six weeks to place an order in the $100 - $150 range.

While that in and of itself is not a huge amount of money it does make a venture that is done with the intent of saying, "Thank-you" a profitable one. What is better however is that in a number of cases, this has led to large jobs, including business portraits for CEOs, large events, and weddings.

First, a very nice and worthwhile project you have embarked on, kudos. You are so correct on making it clear why you are doing the work for free and considering your project, that in itself is clear. I have seen too many people offer to do work for free or at a cut rate, only to become known as the cheapest guy/gal in town, which in turn makes it hard to raise rates.

First, a very nice and worthwhile project you have embarked on, kudos. You are so correct on making it clear why you are doing the work for free and considering your project, that in itself is clear. I have seen too many people offer to do work for free or at a cut rate, only to become known as the cheapest guy/gal in town, which in turn makes it hard to raise rates.
Thanks! That's the problem; once you're known as "that guy" you're hooped. My rule is that I never work free for someone who asks me (certain charity events excepted).

That's a nice thing to do for the veterans and an interesting way of marketing yourself. How many of these shoots do you do a year? I think you would be able to write these as a business expense on your taxes under donations or even a loss.

That's a nice thing to do for the veterans and an interesting way of marketing yourself. How many of these shoots do you do a year? I think you would be able to write these as a business expense on your taxes under donations or even a loss.
Thanks Mike. It really varies; some years it's 30-40, some only half of that. I usually advertise it in the spring of each year. As far as the expense, I'll be honest. That didn't occur to me. I freely admit that I'm a HORRIBLE businessman. My book-keeping is atrocious, my paperwork is all over the place... I will have to talk to my bean counter about that. I wonder if the resultant sales would matter or not?

The fact that you do great portrait work doesn't hurt either .

sent by synchronized cardioversion

@tirediron thank you for posting this. It's given me some ideas for my first responder project...
I love the idea of giving them a free 8x10.

Going to make some changes to my program when I get a chance now.

The fact that you do great portrait work doesn't hurt either .
Thanks Jason!
@tirediron thank you for posting this. It's given me some ideas for my first responder project...
I love the idea of giving them a free 8x10.

Going to make some changes to my program when I get a chance now.
Cool! Hope it works out the way it has for me!

you will quickly become 'that guy who does free portraits (or events, or whatever)'

I think it's great. All of us on this earth have an obligation to give back in some manner. It's easy to give money to a cause, but it's entirely different matter to give of your time and talent, that shows a commitment.

I think it's great. All of us on this earth have an obligation to give back in some manner. It's easy to give money to a cause, but it's entirely different matter to give of your time and talent, that shows a commitment.
I agree 100%; it gets tough when you're trying to balance doing free work with doing paid work and running a business. As long as you can keep the 'free' part separate and logical it will work. I seem to have fallen into a good spot, totally by luck. Not too many people are going to question providing a free portrait to a Veteran! On the other hand, if you're shooting solely for the sake of art give away as much as you feel able to!

if you were really doing it for "free", you'd give them the digital file. Many togs do free portrait sessions with the money coming from prints. You're just eating the $2 cost of one print.

Obviously it's a working setup since you're getting the print sales and some extra work. But it's just a promotion. "Free sitting! No minimum purchase!"

if you were really doing it for "free", you'd give them the digital file. Many togs do free portrait sessions with the money coming from prints. You're just eating the $2 cost of one print.

Obviously it's a working setup since you're getting the print sales and some extra work. But it's just a promotion. "Free sitting! No minimum purchase!"

I absolutely disagree. Maybe to the younger generations, this is true.

To the older generation (veterans) a print likely has FAR more perceived value. Many of them wouldn't know what to do with a digital file.

I absolutely disagree. Maybe to the younger generations, this is true.

To the older generation (veterans) a print likely has FAR more perceived value. Many of them wouldn't know what to do with a digital file.

Well not all veterans are older gentleman. The bigger issue with digital files is they allow unlimited printing,which would the affect the potential for future sales

Most reactions

New Topics

Back