Lost data on a USB memory stick

Chica-Gringa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am back from a trip to Peru. I went to the Amazon forest and took lovely pictures of wild parrots, night pictures of frogs and weird insects. Since I have a very small memory card, I transfered those pictures to a USB memory stick. I checked out at the internet cafe in Cuzco if the pictures were there and they were. But then I am home, and there is about 60-70 pictures from the jungle missing.

I have tried a couple of "data recovery" programs that haven't worked to recover the precious pictures. is there anything I can do? Can contacting the internet cafe in Cuzco help at all?

Thanks, Kati

I would probably say your best bet is to bring it into a labratory who does digital services and ask if they have any suggestions. That or a computer store. Good luck

Files vanishing off a flash memory device sounds unusual to me. In my years of working in IT, I usually see corrupted storage devices manifest as unreadable files and errors (either in the file, or messed up listings of the files.) It seems rather unusual ot have some files just vanish. Is there any possiblity that they were accidentally erased or moved somewhere?

If there WERE there and then moved or erased AND the flash device doesn't take it upon itself to quickly overwrite or scrub empty bits, then recovery software should see the files and be able to bring them back. If recovery software like Restorer 2000 (one that I've had good luck with) is unable to do anything, I really doubt that any type of data recovery lab will do anything.

I wish I had a more optimistic outlook for you. Good luck.

I vote with the last answer. It's very unusual for only certain files to be gone. I usually love the whole drive or nothing at all. Unless I accidentally delete them. You might have copied them to the internet cafe computer's hard drive.

hi

I had a similar problem once. It's a long shot, but check the Trash can on you memory stick (not the local one of your computer, the one on your stick) It is probably invised, so make all folders visible and maybe they r in there...

Crossing my fingers for you.. Good luck

simon

Most reactions

Back