Lost Dog.

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We had to put down our old lady dog today...:( She was 16 and stopped eating, drinking. We had a month old battle with her failing kidneys and enlarged heart through all sorts of medicine dispensed by our vet. She had a few good days during this time but most of the time was in a state of lethargy. For the past two days she refused any drinks and food, almost begging her to end the suffering. Which we did a few hours ago.

It's hard, I know many of you had gone through the same experience but I never really had to put a pet down. The sense of guilt and of playing god is running high right now. I know we did the right and the humane thing, but still... It's hard.

That's all.

:( Awwww - so sorry fo your loss. Its so very hard to lose a pet. They are part of the family, especially after 16 years.

First one, fifth one, it doesn't get any easier. Trust me. At least, although it won't help you much, she was sixteen. She had a good long life. A couple years ago I had to put down my 3 yo Great Pyr, a rescue that just couldn't be helped anymore. And that, I do not wish on anyone.

But it will help a little if you think of it as ending her pain rather than putting her down. Death with dignity is not a bad thing. I certainly hope someone will do it for me if I ever get to a point where....

Do you have a photo of her to show us?

dude that really sucks, its crazy how we get so close to our pets. i dont even want to think about the day i lose him. we had a lab that was sick like that a couple of years ago. one day my mom came home from work went into her bedroom, the dog followed as usual, except this time my mom shut her out and when she opened the door the dog was dead in the hall. she was devistated. i had to rush over there to take it out and dig the grave. so at least you had a chance to say good bye...

:hug:: I'm sorry you have to be going through this. Hopefully it will get better with time.

Funny thing, when we were coming back from the vet, after putting her down, there was a rainbow in the sky. I know she's going to the right place...

Thanks y'all for the comforting.

[SIZE=+1]Rainbow Bridge[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
[/SIZE]

I'm really sad to read this, Dimitri. I'm glad you had the extra time with her, and that seeing the rainbow helped ease the grief a bit, as you imagine her at play in fields 'beyond'. There is no doubt you did the right thing...having to watch a beloved pet in pain in unimaginable.

comfort.gif

so sorry for you lost, it is always sad when you lose someone... not matter how long or short the time spent together

So sorry for your loss. I lost my lady pit bull to cancer in January and still talk to her. Her best pal is still with us. He has lived through the lives of three of my dogs. He's an old guy and has a little arthritis. May get him on Rimadyl.

Dogs are the best! Cats are cool too. As others have said, you did the right thing.

Been in your shoes, have peace in knowing that the suffering is over.

Very sorry, Dimitri. I've had to put down 2 cats and a dog now. It's never easy. This last cat we put down was incredibly painful for us. We cried ridiculously at the vet. When it's time, it's time. The one thing I can personally say is I feel better for not making the animal live longer and in more pain than is necessary, and I've always felt better "being there" in their final moments. I don't really know if it did anything for them, but I always hope it did.

Well, crap, now I'm fricken tearing up.

I feel for you, I really do. For whatever it's worth, some people here REALLY understand the pain you're going through. Remember the good times you had with her and be happy that you and he could share them, and remember her every time you spend time with whatever your next companion may be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back