Lots of Nikon Stuff from the 70's-80's

illstudio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.illustrationstudio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From 1975 to 1995 I was really into photography and accumulated a good stock of Nikon stuff. (Nothing astromonically expensive).

I have a F3, N8008 w/lenses, FG-20, Speedlight SB-11, numerous M focus lens, bellows and other stuff. (Just sold all my Nikonos stuff...)

As I can't see a real reason to keep this stuff, should I sell it for new D-SLR equipt or just keep it as it doesn't seem to go for much. (A 8008 body goes for $20 on EBay!) I hate to part with all the stuff and don't want to "dump" it for cheap either.

Ideas?

Personally I would keep it. I am in the process of going back to film right now. You never know if or when you might get the film bug again. Plus the F3 is a great camera.

I guess I am getting nostalgic for college or something. I miss being able to take a roll of film and process it from start to finish. Plus there is something about the grain in the film that appeals to me, but I guess you could say I am odd as I went back to B&W.

Why go back to film?

Personally, I "went back" because I like it better. The look is different. I 'care' more when I snap the shutter. I realize you can get a 'film' look with processing, but why bother when I can just shoot it to begin with. I still shoot digital for "work" or quickie shots, but shooting film is more fun for me so I hardly ever shoot it for myself. Plus part of photography for me is the feel of the camera in my hand and digital bodies don't do anything for me like older, all metal, simple, mechanical bodies do. Another is the crop factor. My wide lenses on my film bodies still show as the focal length they were meant to be when printed or on screen. I don't want to pay the huge prices for a full frame dslr, so I use film bodies and have cheap full frame.

I used to think the same thing after I got my d70 years ago. "Digital rules, i'll never shoot film again". Digital helped me re-learn some things about exposure and dof that i'd forgotten over the years, but now I find myself shooting about a 90% film over digital ratio with more keepers per roll.

So.. as Junior897 said, you never know when you might want to go back. Of course, since film cameras are cheap now, you can always just start over if you want.

Why go back to film?

Personally, I "went back" because I like it better. The look is different. I 'care' more when I snap the shutter. I realize you can get a 'film' look with processing, but why bother when I can just shoot it to begin with. I still shoot digital for "work" or quickie shots, but shooting film is more fun for me so I hardly ever shoot it for myself. Plus part of photography for me is the feel of the camera in my hand and digital bodies don't do anything for me like older, all metal, simple, mechanical bodies do. Another is the crop factor. My wide lenses on my film bodies still show as the focal length they were meant to be when printed or on screen. I don't want to pay the huge prices for a full frame dslr, so I use film bodies and have cheap full frame.

I used to think the same thing after I got my d70 years ago. "Digital rules, i'll never shoot film again". Digital helped me re-learn some things about exposure and dof that i'd forgotten over the years, but now I find myself shooting about a 90% film over digital ratio with more keepers per roll.

So.. as Junior897 said, you never know when you might want to go back. Of course, since film cameras are cheap now, you can always just start over if you want.

Good call. Maybe I'll keep the F3 and one good zoom lens...;)

Why go back to film?

100% agree with above... when I shoot digital I find myself spending way too much time in photoshop trying to achieve the "look" of my favorite films.

Also, I prefer medium/large format film because it offers much higher quality then any digital camera I can afford.

I have actually added to my film equipment with the deals on used film equipment. I still shoot film (slide) as digital has not caught up to it just yet. I shoot 35mm and 6x6 still. Occasionally color negative, and B&W, but mostly slide.

I just got another shipment of chemicals to do some processing. I save up my film and process it in large batches. Color negative goes to Sam's. Other than that, the rest is done at home.

Maybe in a half dozen years digital will increase its dynamic range. But in the near future, film is still the king. Just not as convient as digital.

Most reactions

Back