lots of research - still can't decide...

ryan7783

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey I've been reading a lot of threads about cameras and which ones do what but I'm still undecided about which one I'd like to get in the future.

I have a D60 now and I like it a lot - for what it is but I'd eventually like to slip into something a little more towards the professional side of things. I'm not dead set on Nikon although since I already have a few lenses for my D60 and by the time I'm ready to purchase another camera, I'll have accumulated more lenses for it, I'd like to steer in that direction. Any of you pro's out there recommend anything in particular? Perhaps a brief rundown of why you chose the camera you own?

I am very interested in learning the most I can about photography - I've found a real passion here and I just want to be the best that I can be. I started with the D60 for that reason...to learn. I understand the camera is only as good as the photographer behind it but I also believe that if you buy the best camera within your budget, that you immediately have a leg up.

just for kicks, here's one I took a couple days ago

boy.jpg

Why not leave that question for the future to decide? Or are you planning to ditch the D60 this soon?

I bought a D200 because it was metal, no other reason. I would have been happy with a D50, but I'd also be a few camera bodies down by now if I had bought that.

I'm looking for something soon - as in the next 6 months or so.

Start saving for a D300 its a great camera. If you could find a old D200 for a good price that would be a good camera as well. I too upgraded from my D50 to a D200 for a more rugged camera as well as a couple other things like commander mode and fast FPS. If you are already investing in Nikon i would say plan on sticking with Nikon for the forseeabe future. if you want to switch switch now before you aquire more lenses for your Nikon. You'll want a backup body down the line so having your D60 as backup is great if you switch to Canon your not going to be able to share lenses between bodies so that mean two of every lens you own which will get expensive fast.

Start saving for a D300 its a great camera. If you could find a old D200 for a good price that would be a good camera as well. I too upgraded from my D50 to a D200 for a more rugged camera as well as a couple other things like commander mode and fast FPS. If you are already investing in Nikon i would say plan on sticking with Nikon for the forseeabe future. if you want to switch switch now before you aquire more lenses for your Nikon. You'll want a backup body down the line so having your D60 as backup is great if you switch to Canon your not going to be able to share lenses between bodies so that mean two of every lens you own which will get expensive fast.

Is the D300 a good pro quality camera? I'd like something with pro quality but I can't afford the D3 (drool).

Definitely.

When it comes time for me to upgrade, unless Canon's next XXD seems like a better choice (and as long as I haven't invested too much into Canon), I may have to jump ship.

From what I've seen, it's a great camera.

EDIT:
Since no one else has commented; nice image too.

Definitely.

When it comes time for me to upgrade, unless Canon's next XXD seems like a better choice (and as long as I haven't invested too much into Canon), I may have to jump ship.

From what I've seen, it's a great camera.

EDIT:
Since no one else has commented; nice image too.

thanks for the info and the comment :thumbup:

Nice Pic!

I'd say that you should stick with Nikon....Just not worth all the new investments in new lenses, flash etc. if you should switch to Canon or so...

Stay a little longer with your D60 (you gave yourself about 6months) and maybe you can manage to get some more $ together. Sell the D60 and then go for the D300.

Might take 9months, but it's woth it (and the selling-price of the D300 might have been dropped by then ;) )

Nice Pic!

I'd say that you should stick with Nikon....Just not worth all the new investments in new lenses, flash etc. if you should switch to Canon or so...

Stay a little longer with your D60 (you gave yourself about 6months) and maybe you can manage to get some more $ together. Sell the D60 and then go for the D300.

Might take 9months, but it's woth it (and the selling-price of the D300 might have been dropped by then ;) )

Well as was mentioned before, a backup body would be nice to have so I think I'm going to keep my D60 and you're absolutely right - by the time I get enough money together, the price will probably have dropped on the D300. I like Nikon a lot so I think I'm going to stay with them anyway...besides, I'll already be pretty invested in Nikon lenses. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Does anyone here have a D1 and if so, are they satisfied with it?

I'm sure people were satisfied as it was one of the best digital cameras of it's time. But it's an old dog now.

Thinking more about this, I'm now having trouble deciding between the Nikon D300 and the Canon 40D

The 40D is priced almost $500 under the D300 and seems to offer about the same quality except for the mega pixels and fps

Kinda stuck - I only have the kit lens and a 50mm f1.8 for my Nikon D60 so I'm not completely married to the brand yet. I decided to forgo buying anymore lenses until I saved up enough to purchase another camera which is coming up much faster since I just got a huge chunk of overtime on this last check. I figured in another month, I should have enough to get either one of these gems. Personal preference aside, is there anyone who owns either one of these cameras that can shed some light on the subject?

Maybe I'm missing something completely and this isn't as hard of a decision as I'm making it.

Nikon (Body Only) - $1,799.95
  • 12.3 Megapixels
  • • DX Format CMOS Sensor
  • • 3.0" LCD Display
  • • Live View
  • • Self Cleaning Sensor
  • • Dust and Water Resistant
  • • 51-point AFs with 3D Focus Tracking
  • • 6 fps Burst
  • • Scene Recognition System

Canon - $1,329.95
  • 10.1 Megapixel
  • • 6.5 fps Continuous Shooting
  • • Uses Canon EF & EF-S Lenses
  • • Shock, Dust and Weather Resistant
  • • Integrated Cleaning S
  • • 3.0-inch LCD Dispaly
  • • Includes EF 28-135mm IS USM Lens

Does anyone here have a D1 and if so, are they satisfied with it?

D1 is super old, the best in it's day, but frankly even the $25 disposable digitals have better image quality these days.

The D1 can produce some okay 4x6 prints, but nothing bigger.

Back when the D1 was released it was aimed primarly at newspaper photographers... where resolution and quality wasn't as important as speed to press.

I have a D300 and friend I shoot with has the 40D. We think they're both great cameras, but the one difference we found is that my D300 has a built-in commander mode allowing me to control my off-camera Nikon strobes (SB800s). If she wanted to do something similar with her Canon, she'd have to purchase additional equipment such as a Pocket Wizard.

Most reactions

Back