Love some feedback/Critique :)

huru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy. I've only had my DSLR for the last 6 months. And I think i'm getting better, but i'd love some feedback on my photos...good bad or otherwise ;)

$SubmarineSmall.jpg$Steps.JPG$Opera House Sails03007.jpg$Bike.JPG

If you want to really learn, it's better to be specific with what do you want to know from us.

With that said it shows that you're experimenting with shutter speed, symmetry, dof.

What are you satisfied with? What are you doing better? What do you think is good/bad?

Trust me, you'll learn much more with critiquing yourself.

I believe someone will come and say a bit more then I did, but I would like to know first what do you think about photos you posted.

Welcome to the site. bmmision does bring up some good things to go over. I would offer a few suggestions of my own.

I kind of like #2 and 3. #4 I would like to see the air cleaner more in focus as well. #1 I think you could have used a wider shot, with all the dark, it almost seems to me that you cut off the aft of the ship. Also for it, you may consider photoshopping it to get the reflection in the water. I did a quick edit to show you. I copied and flipped the top and then added motion blur and the guassian blur to the layer before merging it with the original.

$SubmarineSmall.jpg

If you want to really learn, it's better to be specific with what do you want to know from us.

With that said it shows that you're experimenting with shutter speed, symmetry, dof.

What are you satisfied with? What are you doing better? What do you think is good/bad?

Trust me, you'll learn much more with critiquing yourself.

I believe someone will come and say a bit more then I did, but I would like to know first what do you think about photos you posted.

Lets see, shutter speed, DOF, symmetry.. critique yourself. Hmm - nope, got nothing to add here.. lol

I think Ronlane read my mind, especially on the air filter comment. lol. (Great edit too Ron.) I might have dropped the exposure just a tad in the boat photo. Just to sharpen up the lights that are blown out. Then you could bring the shadows back a little in post. Pretty nice shots regardless.

What I see on each photo is a tendency to "chop" the subjects near the edge of the frame on one side, which causes unpleasing visual tension. You're not bringing the compositions to a fully-refined place. On the two with light sources, each has a very bright light, right near the edge...not good in either case. On the ship...it's a longer-range, "overview", but the stern is missing any real "SPACE" in which the ship can exist....again....it would be better to show the whole ship with more space all around it, OR, crop it about in half and thus magnify it roughly 2x larger for a clearer look at the ship. On the motorcycle...the air filter at the bottom is clipped off, and causing a lot of distraction.

It might seem odd, but the edges of the frame are very important in a photo..."crowding" them, or using them to "clip" an object creates a strangely high level of visual tension, often right AT that exact, specific point in the photo. I would work on refining your ability in how you place the frame around the scenes you see.

Thank you all, you've given me a lot to think about. I feel I'm getting the subjects I want but yeah struggling with the edges of frames and the periphery. I have to admit my least favourite part of photography is post production. I think I'm taking too many shots out in the field at any one time, getting back to base and being intimidated by the work load in front of me. The motorbike for instance I have about 30 similar shots, I chose this particular one because I was focusing on the artwork on the tank. Now I'll look through the rest and see what else is there...

I enjoy shooting at night because it gives you that freedom of exploring deeper and slowing down my own pace with the longer exposures. Most of these shots were taken when I was travelling, and quite often found myself travelling light as possible and wishing I had the lens that I left back at the hotel. Guess I have to commit more and take the large bag!

Do you think I should be taking less shots but more calculated?

With the experience of you fine people I believe I'll start to look closer at the entire shot.

Thanks again, much appreciated :)

Nice photos! You've got great subjects in all of them!

One thing you will notice, overtime, is that your technique will change, especially as you learn other methods of composing and post processing. Keep practicing!

My suggestion to you, is to start thinking about the angle and what you want in the shot. FILL YOUR FRAME! Worry about the Post-Processing (Exposure, Color, White Balance, Curves, Luminance, etc.) at a later time. Once you've gotten your eye trained on seeing that "perfect shot," start investing time into editing the tonality and exposure. IT ALL TAKES TIME!

You can have the clearest and most perfect exposed image but if the subject matter just isn't there (boring, lopsided, lots of dead space, too much going on), then your photo will not be an eye catcher. I can promise you that.

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO
in these particular photos, is level them (any photo really). The blue building is a prime example. Look at the quick adjustment I did. See how much better the image is right off the bat? It's all about symmetry my friend! I did this automatically in Lightroom/Camera Raw

$Opera House Sails03007-EDITED.jpg

Also, I removed the small lens flares and specks in the night sky and steps. It was a bit distracting. I then turned up the contrast (Curves adjustment), increased the clarity to give it more sharpness (usually used when sharpness is missing), decreased the blacks and turned up the vibrancy to get a deep rich look, as well as saturated only the orange level in this photo to really make that right side "pop."

Photos are a piece of artwork. The outcome is limitless and what you make of it. Some people don't believe in altering a photo very much, while others are manipulating like a mad scientist! Find something you really like, learn it, and make it your own!

I hope I was of some help :)

I think you have a great creative vision.
If I were to give an overall suggestion to you it would be to study composition a bit.
There is something you do well in each of these shots, but that alone is not enough to carry the photo.

wtf

it's from 2013

Most reactions

New Topics

Back