Lovely little poser (My first child!)

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of a friend asked to have her daughter photographed, so I leapt at the opportunity! I've never shot a child before and I was fairly anxious the morning the girl and her mother walked up the front path to my house.

Once again, I didn't get all of the shots I wanted, but I got some really fun ones. But what could I have done better in these?

2546631698_55ab3f6bce_m.jpg

Bigger here

2545834449_a318f16e6f_m.jpg

Bigger here

2546631588_f798d178ef_m.jpg

Bigger here

2537137674_825b2cd734_m.jpg

Bigger here
Be harsh, please.

what lights are you using? and did u don any pp?

Er, two Opus M100SRs and my pentax flashgun off-camera, plus a 42" reflector.

My usual PP is a bit of high-pass sharpening and masked levels adjustment.

If you're "not really a TPF noob", then do you have any criticisms? Cause that would be superb.

What a lovely girl, I cant wait to take shots like these,

how ever, I am not keen on the last one with the glare on her head

Eyes seem nice and sharp, skin tone nice, but thats all i can say as Im not to knowledgable

I like them, Drewski. I'm not really in the place to give you any criticism, but I don't think I really dig the fourth one. I think the correct way of saying it is that there's too much highlight in her hair? I don't know, just too much light on her bangs/forehead for me. But that's just me!

Otherwise, a very good job. BTW, I think its funny you had the mom hold the light... That's being resourceful!

Drewski: "Yeah, so if you're gonna just stand there, make yourself useful and hold this."

Oh, I love the 3rd and especially the 4th one! I don't think the hairlight is too strong at all! Its not blown out of harsh and gives her that nice golden line down her cheek. Her expression and eyes look great!

The 1st one is creepy- she's trying too hard.
The second one has a weird crop with her hand coming out of nowhere. If you had backed up some, it might have worked.

I like the angle you chose for her body in the 3rd one a lot. Makes for great compostion and a unique post. The 3rd and the 4th are def the best of this series.

You said be harsh. I will be just that.

1. Lighting is very good in this one. Expression is terrible. Pose is terrible.

2. Light on camera left is a bit too strong (couple of blown out areas)not a big deal. IMO her hand should have been left out.

3. Fix the background in photoshop. Pose is good but I wish she was looking at the camera.

4. Hair light is too strong causing a different hue to the front of her hair. Face and eyes are too soft in contrast to the rest of her head being somewhat sharper. Pose is good.

Most reactions

Back