Loving amateur photography!

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! I just stumbled on these forums while researching some photography tips online, and they've already been incredibly helpful!
I'm a stay at home mom of four children under 6 , and have always enjoyed snapping shots of my family. We just purchased our first DSLR, and I've been having a blast delving more seriously into photography :) I never realized how incredibly fun and complex taking pictures could be until a couple weeks ago. Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure.. it's a lot to remember but totally fun:)
Looking forward to joining you all and learning!

Welcome! Sounds similar to my story. I always loved photography but never really understood how much until I got a DSLR, then WOW, just like you got so excited. My kids are the most common target of my lens, poor things.

Hi, another sahm like me. I have yet to purchase my camera and am hoping some experienced people can help me make an informed decision. The guys at the camera store dont seem too helpful they just want to make a sale. Can I ask what DSLR you bought.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I worked up the guts to post my first few pictures today, I really feel like every day I work with my camera I learn something new:)

Hi, another sahm like me. I have yet to purchase my camera and am hoping some experienced people can help me make an informed decision. The guys at the camera store dont seem too helpful they just want to make a sale. Can I ask what DSLR you bought.

Good to meet another "mom with a camera!" hehe :lol: I know what you mean about the salesmen, though I have run across a few here and there that have been genuinely helpful. Usually this is when I approach them with very specific questions or needs, rather than generalities. If I ask "what's a good camera?" They'll give me every reason to buy their highest end model. Whereas if I ask "What is a good wide aperture lense compatible with model (insert name here) and what are the pros and cons to having an autofocus motor built in to the body versus in the lense?" they are more likely be helpful.

I did make the mistake of picking up a higher end model than I couldn't afford one day, to take a few snaps with at the store and totally fell in love with the lense they had on it.. .*drool* So I asked the salesman "ummm what lense is this? It is AMAZING.." He was immediately ready to convince me I had to have this lens LOL.
Fortunately I was out with the kids and I could fall back on the old "well.. I need to wait and consult my husband before I make a final decision..." tactic;)

My husband and I ended up choosing the Nikon D5000. We have had a cannon power shot in the past, and it was important to me to still at least have the option of shooting video if I wanted, without needed to carry around a camcorder in the diaper bag in addition to an SLR. I also am partial to Nikon Cameras in general over canon, but we did consider the Canon Rebel XSi. Our choices were primarily between the D5000 or the D90.
There are a few things I like about the D90 more than my 5000, but I couldn't justify the price difference, since these were what boiled down to minor issues for me. On our budget, we were able to purchase the D5000 as a package; kit, extra telephoto lens, bag, tripod, and extra battery for what we would have paid just for the D90 with kit lens.

I'd say try out a few cameras, and don't feel pressured to buy an SLR that everyone says is the "best" just because it costs more. I've heard of many people using models less fancy than the current "entry level" SLR's who use and love them more for various reasons.

If money wasn't an issue I think I would probably have gone with the D90, but I think the D5000 was a wiser decision for us. I think down the road I'd be more likely to purchase a really nice lens than to upgrade my camera body, as the 5000 does all I was hoping for and more:)

Good luck choosing!

Thats great, i cant wait to see your pictures. I have a budget in mind and am leaning towards the D90 with the kit lens and then also getting a 50mm prime. Its going to be a wedding present so I want to be happy with it for years. Thanks for the advice. Going to go back to the store again and try and make my final decision.

Jeez... another MWAC. Within 25 posts you'll be opening your own business. ;) :lol:

Welcome to TPF.

Jeez... another MWAC. Within 25 posts you'll be opening your own business. ;) :lol:

Welcome to TPF.

I'm planning to shoot weddings this summer.... I've got a good camera, that's all it takes, right?

.............. (ha ha)

;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back