Low discharge AA batteries?

Are you asking about that particular brand, or just low discharge batteries in general?

Sanyo Eneloop (low discharge NiMH) batteries are getting to be quite popular. People like them for the obvious reason that they don't need to be charged up between uses because they don't drain on their own, like 'regular' NiMH batteries do.

From everything I've heard, they work just like other NiMH batteries in a flash.

Personally, I'm not running out to get them. I'm going to charge my flash batteries before a shoot anyway because I want them to be topped up. But for other uses, like in a light meter or something like that, these low discharge batteries would be great.

But if you only use your flash on occasion, and just want to grab it and go...then they might be a better option than standard NiMH.

I have Powerex and they're aweseome, but like Big Mike said - they lose their charge sitting around.

That's why I ordered a bunch of Eneloop's to pack in my bag 'just in case'.

A wedding 'tog I know via e-mail and another forum absolutely raved about the performance of the Eneloops in his SB 800 flash units. He was just super-pleased about their performance over large numbers of flash shots, and the way they "behaved" so to speak. He feels that their performance near the end of the charge life in actual use is better than other comparably-specified batteries,and he has numbers that prove his point. I've never used Eneloops, since I've got loads of other, more traditional NiMh batteries--but the idea of a NiMh battery that can be charged up and then actually relied upon after two,three,or even four weeks is appealing. I use slow chargers, so to me, there's about a 12-hour lead time in getting batteries charged. Eneloops of another brand of low-discharge batteries sound great for the next generation. Lenmar has been in the battery game for 20+ years.

I got some Enloops (12 in the end) and left 4in the flash over christmass and didn't use it for a good few weeks - and after all that time they were still able to go out on a days shooting with me. Granted they died eventually but had they been regular rechargables chances are I would have got only a few flash shots if that from them - but the enloops just kept on going.

As said if you can recharge before each shoot chances are you won't notice the difference but if you want to leave the flash and grab it for grabshots and have a reliable battery Enloops are what I would recomend.

Also I completely agree that a good proper recharger is needed - the fast and cheap 30min sort will kill the life span of the batteries (enloop or otherwise) whilst a really good recharger will not only keep the batteries in good condition it can also breath new life into less than ideal older rechargables.

I can't seem to locate Eneloop batteries in my neck of the woods, being New Brunswick, Canada. I'd like to buy a couple of them to try before investing in a large number. I did, however find some Rayovac Hybrid batteries, that seem to be the same technology as the Eneloops. Anyone try these? BTW, I recently bought the MAHA charger. LOVE it!!

Also, can someone tell me how to place my pic in my profile here? LOL

Thanks!

I'm interested in the Eneloop batteries too. However, they are only available at 2000 mAh. My other NiMH batteries are 2700 mAh. It would seem the 2000 mAh batteries would have only about 2/3 the capacity of the 2700 mAh batteries. Is there really that much of a difference in the capacities of the batteries in real usage?

I got some sort of a power pack on eBay from a seller with really good feedback, still waiting for them though. Comes with 8AA, 2AAA and some adapters for C and D cells, maybe a charger too but I probably won't use that.

Dave - I honestly have to say I have not really noticed much difference with the Enloops - though my comparative energiser rechargables have suffered sadly and are not acting their best (especailly in terms of lifespan).
I would say that, for myself at least, the ability to put the flash down and pick it up whenever I need to without precharging the batteries beforehand is worth the lesser power rating. Adding another set of batteries to the bag and swapping over is not a problem when the batteries already in the flash give you a decent number of shots before they die and the batteries are all retaining their charge.

I used to only really do photography on planned days so I could recharge before - but as time has gone on I've found that there are odd sunny days and afternoons when I do just want to grab the camera and go shoot - having the gear die on you early on is greatly offputting.

(ps I do a lot of macro at present so that tends to eat through the flash when I go out shooting)

I was out last night and bought 4 Rayovac Hybrid batteries rated at 2100mha. Even though they claim to be fully charged out of the package, I popped them into my MAHA for a quick topping up. I put 2 of them in my GPS and turned it on around 10PM. I was up at 5 and the new batteries were dead. My older batteries would last the whole night and into mid morning before they died.

I have approx 40 Duracell NIMH batteries here that are approx 2 years old. They were always charged in a 15 min charger until recently when I bought the MAHA. I can fully charge them in the new charger and without using them, they will be dead in about 2 days. They work fine if I use them right away but any type of storage they just can't handle. And yes, they have been conditioned in the new MAHA.

We shoot weddings and take approx 3000 - 4000 pics at each wedding. We change batteries very frequently and have tons of spares.

I realize the older Duracell's are done but am totally confused as to what to replace them with. Should I get the new low drain (lower MHA) or go with the higher mha (no storage)????

Recommendations??? Suggestions??

The slower discharge rate seems to come a lot from a reduced peak current rate for many of these batteries. So while your NiMH batteries may suddenly last longer than a few weeks without charge or use, you may find the cycle times on your flash somewhat slower.

Even though they claim to be fully charged out of the package, I popped them into my MAHA for a quick topping up.

This may contribute to their crap performance. Two big killers of NiMH batteries are over charging and quick charging. Most if not all NiMH chargers are dumb and just have a time limit on the charging. If they were full when you put them in ....

Anyway I don't suggest you do this in the future. Buy batteries and deadden them before charging.

The Sanyo 2700 are great performers I see no need to look at anything else for me anyway

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-NiMH-Rechargeable-Batteries-4-Pack/dp/B000IV413S]Amazon.com: Sanyo 2,700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (4-Pack): Electronics[/ame]

Even though they claim to be fully charged out of the package, I popped them into my MAHA for a quick topping up.

This may contribute to their crap performance. Two big killers of NiMH batteries are over charging and quick charging. Most if not all NiMH chargers are dumb and just have a time limit on the charging. If they were full when you put them in ....

I actually have the MAHA 801D which is a smart charger. Works great!

I only use low discharge batteries, you can get them for just a little over a buck a piece overseas--shipping isn't bad as long as you don't want them fast.

Most reactions

Back