low key portrait

rpwiz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello to all, I was messing around with my strobe light to achieve a low key photo and this is what i came up with. I set up the tripod and took a pic of myself. Any comments on lighting or the photo in general i would be thankful. Should the overall photo be darker. Thanks again

DSCF003512.jpg

DSCF0030bw12.jpg

Last edited:
no commmets, i guess these fall under the average photo category. Any cc welcome thanks.

thanks parkerman. Need to figure out if its photo because on my laptop (uncalibrated) i see plenty of detail in the black backdrop and in my shirt my hair also has detail against the backdrop. Thats why i asked in my original post if the photo should be darker but your saying there underexposed. Thanks for the comment something for me to look at now.

Put a milk jug, hot soup container what have you over the flash and position it as close to your face as possible while keeping it out of frame.

This should simulate a larger area of light and provide more shape to your exposures.

The angle looks good as you have highlights in your eyes and on your lips.

A second off camera flash would be great... allowing you to set the aperture you want, and then adjust the lights in full manual for whatever low ISO you camera can handle, AKA (more or less) strobist technique.

-Shea

Most reactions

Back