low light best practices

Use Flickr to host your photo then copy/paste the bb code directly into the thread.

Close but you may want to go ahead and suggest the D5 + 400mm f/2.8E. Just to be safe that the OP can get the shot.

I was being budget minded :p

but in all serious, you need fast glass first and foremost.

I picked the $11,000 400mm 2.8, because you're used to shooting a 300mm on a crop body, so to get roughly the same amount of reach (300 x 1.5 = 450mm) with more light ingest I went 400mm with a 2.8 aperture. There are much cheaper options for sure, but you really do need fast glass. I'm assuming your 300mm lens is 5.6 or 6.3. shooting at 2.8 could drop your SS or ISO 2 stops of light.

I suggested the D750 because it's one of the best low-light focusing AND imaging bodies out on the market.

Not supplied and not asked, what ISO are you using. I regularly shoot at higher ISO and even though there is some noise I can still get a perfectly useable image at ISO 12,800.

posting examples, again, will be the biggest way for us to help you improve.

posting examples, again, will be the biggest way for us to help you improve.
g.jpg

DPI is not a camera setting. It's for printing.

DPI is not a camera setting. It's for printing.
Understood. The question remains though, any idea how to keep it constant? Also, what can you gather from those settings on that sample photo?

It won't affect anything until you go to make a print.

Most reactions

Back