Low light help

mtnman2888

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot alot of pictures where there is low light, usually deep in the woods where there is a heavy tree canopy blocking light except during midday. I find myself having to use a low aperture and slow shutter speed to allow enough light in the lens, but alot of times this doesn't make for such great pictures. I was wondering if there was any techniques or advice y'all could give me?

I know probably the best thing would be to buy a lens with an aperture of 2.8 or even 1.4, but i don't really want to spend the money right now.

Are you shooting hand held? Slow shutter speeds are a problem when either the camera or the subject is moving...so if you are shooting static subjects, then the simple solution is to limit the camera's movements by using a tripod or other means of support. If a tripod is to cumbersome, then may be a monopod would be right for you. It's not as good as a tripod because you still have to have the camera in your hands, but it does help.

Of course, on a digital camera you can turn up the ISO setting to get faster shutter speeds. This does increase the amount of digital noise, but that's the trade off.

And as you know...a 'fast' lens will also make a difference. A 50mm F1.8 lens is usually pretty affordable for most systems.

Well i do use a tripod, although it's quite cumbersome to carry when backpacking! I guess i should have put a little more detail into my post. Most of the time, there is water involved and and/or fish, so a slow shutter speed is out of the question. As far as the water goes, while the "cotton candy" effect is nice, sometimes it doesn't fit with the composition. The fish, well we all know they don't stay still very long. Sorry about that but thanks for the input, hopefully my response will help clarify.

Have you tried cranking up the ISO?

Do you have some example shots you could show us?

You are going to have to pump up the ISO. What camera are you shooting with?

This is kind of like eating at a Chinese Restaurant. Choose at least one from each column.

Column A.
Tripod
Fast glass

Column B.
Shutter release
Mirror lockup

Column C.
High ISO

Column C only has one choice because when it comes to Column C you only have one choice. Crank up the ISO. You can use noise reduction software later to help it out.

For the other two Columns, a feast would be the best thing. What I mean by that is it would be best to choose all four options in the two columns. But if cost is a consideration choose at least one from each. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back