Low Light + NO Flash + NO Noise.... Suggestions?

apertureman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I plan on shooting a chamber orchestra and opera concert at a cathedral. It will be low light and no flash or noises are allowed.

I can get the low light and no flash part covered by using a high ISO film, like 3200 (I don't mind the grain) and providing is set my lens on the widest possible f4.0 I will need no flash and can still get good shutter speed.

My problem is the "no noise" part. It's a manual SLR and the shutter mechanism is pretty loud. Do I have any options other than using a Rangefinder or opting out for my terrible POS?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

have you tried wrapping it in a thick fabric, like wool?

I would just experiment at home in a quiet room by wrapping it with different materials and seeing how loud it is.

If there is a commercially available option, I'm sure this method would be cheaper.

I would think the bigger problem would be advancing the film as opposed to the shutter.

I would think the bigger problem would be advancing the film as opposed to the shutter.

On the contrary, actually. Because I will be using my manual, the film is advanced manually with a lever. It is a lot more quiet than the shutter.

have you tried wrapping it in a thick fabric, like wool?

I would just experiment at home in a quiet room by wrapping it with different materials and seeing how loud it is.

If there is a commercially available option, I'm sure this method would be cheaper.

I will try that, never crossed my mind. Thanks.

id use a faster lens honestly.

I will be getting a 28-70mm zoom with f2.8 on the low end, so that should give me a 1-stop faster shutter speed.

Is there a way to fasten the mirror to the top with a piece of tape so it wouldn't go up and down during shutter release? Because technically, it's not the shutter that makes noise, it's the mirror. I know it sounds ridiculous but I just thought I might ask. :O

Does your camera have a "mirror up" mode? Some slrs allow you to swing the mirror up manually before taking a photo... it's much quieter. Although framing your shot will be a challenge.

usually mirror lock up brings the mirror up with the first click, then the second click opens the shutter then drops the mirror back down, so that will still make noise.

Rangefinder.

I would use a rangefinder if I had a few thousand to spare... but the prices are ridiculous.

I think you are confusing the term rangefinder with new in the box Leica. With the right body, a used body and lens can be had for under $700.

Or they could get a trusty QL17. Runs around $50 and has a super quiet leaf shutter.

I would use a rangefinder if I had a few thousand to spare... but the prices are ridiculous.

Most rangefinders are no more expensive than an SLR... your just thinking of just a single brand that is pricey.

A cloth shutter rangefinder would be a very quite option......

As an owner of multiple cloth shuttered rangefinders, the cheaper leaf shutter equipped models still win the noise race.

I presume you own every cloth shutter rangefinder and done extensive comparison to all leaf shutter models of cameras in all history to make such a judgement.... :confused:

There's a difference between offering an "option" and putting a stake in the ground...

The ratcheting noise the QL17 is annoying.... I own 5 of them in my collection but I would never presume to be an expert. They are neat cameras but I would presume the option to fix a longer focal length would be ideal.

If you want absolute quiet, you can't beat a digital with all those fake noises turned off.

Most reactions

Back