Low Light + NO Flash + NO Noise.... Suggestions?

I think you are confusing the term rangefinder with new in the box Leica. With the right body, a used body and lens can be had for under $700.

Or they could get a trusty QL17. Runs around $50 and has a super quiet leaf shutter.

I will do some more research and maybe find a nice cheap one. I still have time, the concert is not until mid-December.

Please suggest a place that still has the QL17 for sale, although I don't this particular camera will meet my needs in terms of focal length. The one I have on my SLR has 300mm on the long end. As far as I know QL17 has a 40mm fixed. It will not work unless it's a camera with interchangeable lenses and at least 200mm.

Thanks for your (and everyone else's) suggestions, I appreciate it.

I plan on shooting a chamber orchestra and opera concert at a cathedral. It will be low light and no flash or noises are allowed.

I can get the low light and no flash part covered by using a high ISO film, like 3200 (I don't mind the grain) and providing is set my lens on the widest possible f4.0 I will need no flash and can still get good shutter speed.

My problem is the "no noise" part. It's a manual SLR and the shutter mechanism is pretty loud. Do I have any options other than using a Rangefinder or opting out for my terrible POS?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
What camera are you using? Perhaps a quieter model will suffice.

200mm is beyond the capabilities of most rangefinders....

I like "zrbarnes"s advice on experimenting wrapping the camera in various materials.

What camera are you using? Perhaps a quieter model will suffice.

It's a Nikon FM10 manual SLR. It's louder than any SLR I've used before, lol. It's a neat and sturdy camera, though.

As an owner of multiple cloth shuttered rangefinders, the cheaper leaf shutter equipped models still win the noise race.

I presume you own every cloth shutter rangefinder and done extensive comparison to all leaf shutter models of cameras in all history to make such a judgement.... :confused:

There's a difference between offering an "option" and putting a stake in the ground...

Does that mean I am to presume that you have owned every cloth shutter rangefinder and done extensive comparison to all leaf shutter models of cameras in all history to make the counter my judgment.... :confused:

Counter cynicism out of the way, I'm not trying to drive the stake of absolution into the ground. From my experience, the eight leaf shuttered cameras/lenses which I have owned have been as quiet, or quieter than the cloth focal plane shutters I've ever owned. I was actually trying to make the point that a Leica shutter isn't the end game in camera quietness like many believe it to be. Sure it is quiet, but there are many less expensive fixed lens range finder options which are just as quiet, and if not quieter.

200mm is beyond the capabilities of most rangefinders....

I like "zrbarnes"s advice on experimenting wrapping the camera in various materials.

Agreed. Most rangfinders lenses top out at 135mm, and even then you'll have a relatively slow aperture to work with. Not ideal for indoors. Looking for something to dampen the sound seems like a good course to pursue.

Does that mean I am to presume that you have owned every cloth shutter rangefinder and done extensive comparison to all leaf shutter models of cameras in all history to make the counter my judgment.... :confused:

Of course not but I didn't present my answer as the definite either. By the way, the only person who mentioned the Leica shutter is you.

[Of course not but I didn't present my answer as the definite either. By the way, the only person who mentioned the Leica shutter is you.

The original text I quoted from your reply was cloth shutter rangefinder. Nine times out of ten I'll take that to imply Leica since most brands use metal shutters, and they're the only one I ever see being mentioned as having a legendarily quiet shutter I doubt you were implying that he load up a Speed Graphic for this project. A FED perhaps? Seems such a silly subject to get all spun up over. I plead the if I'm way of track here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on shooting a chamber orchestra and opera concert at a cathedral. It will be low light and no flash or noises are allowed.

I can get the low light and no flash part covered by using a high ISO film, like 3200 (I don't mind the grain) and providing is set my lens on the widest possible f4.0 I will need no flash and can still get good shutter speed.

My problem is the "no noise" part. It's a manual SLR and the shutter mechanism is pretty loud. Do I have any options other than using a Rangefinder or opting out for my terrible POS?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

When I was shooting professionally, almost always, obstacles like this could be overcome just by talking with the person in charge ahead of time. Planning can go a long way also. e.g. shooting only during cresendos.
But, you say the grain from high speed film won't bother you. This tells me you are not shooting professionally and need only please yourself. That's unfortunate.
I would have to know more. Like, is there a rear balcony? If so, shoot away with whatever equipment you have. No one will hear your shutter.
If you are just trying your best from the audience....good luck.
I used to do a lot of theatre and found dress rehersals were the best time to shoot. Nobody minded a little distraction. Think about that.

When I was shooting professionally, almost always, obstacles like this could be overcome just by talking with the person in charge ahead of time. Planning can go a long way also. e.g. shooting only during cresendos.

Good point. I am not the official photographer of the show, so talking to someone may be a problem, but like you said, they get pretty loud; imagine a 20-member orchestra, operatic tenor and soprano, all making a sound in a cathedral, which is an acoustic marvel in and of itself.

But, you say the grain from high speed film won't bother you. This tells me you are not shooting professionally and need only please yourself. That's unfortunate.

No I am not shooting professionally, if I was I would probably use high end digital which would allow me to use high ISO setting and still get no noise. That is just for myself and possibly my friends and family.... but why is that unfortunate? :(

I would have to know more. Like, is there a rear balcony? If so, shoot away with whatever equipment you have. No one will hear your shutter.

Yes, there is a balcony, there will be people up there as well, but only a few.

I used to do a lot of theatre and found dress rehersals were the best time to shoot. Nobody minded a little distraction. Think about that.

I could try that. However, all the lights will be on during the dress rehearsals and the spot lights will not be utilized until the actual event. That can have both advantages and disadvantages: on the one hand, I get better lighting so I can use slower film; on the other hand, I won't get desired contrast.

Thanks for suggestions!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back