Lowepro Slingshot 200 or 300?

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If I want to have my 70-300mm attached to my XT body in bag and carry two other lenses and a bulky adaptor. The price difference is $17 but the 300 looks so massive yet the 200 looks like it might be too small..
I like this bag because of the rain cover it features I have been out in the rain (not on purpose it just happened) twice with my little Cirrus 140 and as soon as I get back to the car I have to dump everything out incase it seeps through.
I only have $100 or under to spend so I am limited really in what I am looking at.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Slingshot-300-AW-Review.aspx

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Slingshot-200-AW-Review.aspx

Thanks for any help..

The slingshot 100AW is small..... I can barely fit the 1dmarkII with 24-105L AND a 100-400L in the 200AW. Keep in mind that all three of those items are massive compared to your XT and 70-300mm. So, yes... you should fit in the 200AW.

Now you have to decide whether the growing room between the 200AW and 300AW is worth it to yah.

For me.... a fully packed 200AW puts a lot of weight on one shoulder. A fully packed 300AW would put even more weight thus I would probably not pack that much. I'm fine with the 200AW.

This topic came up a few years ago and I took this photo to give that OP a better idea of how large the 200AW really is. Bags are just plain difficult to shop online... you have to see them in person.

130196320.jpg

I have the 200 and I love it. I don't have a 70-300 but I'm hoping it'll fit in here when I do. I agree that the 300 seemed too big. If I were gonna go that big I may just get a backpack so the weight is better distributed. Here are a couple of pics I took with a tape measure so you can measure your equipment so you can get some idea of how things will fit.

2452517259_631d12efb4_o.jpg

2452517415_0cf33ff259_o.jpg

I have the 200 and love it. I normally have my D80 with the 28 - 105 attached, my 70 - 300 and my 50 plus a few filters in the main compartment and a few munchies in the top compartment. I also put one of the legs for my tripod through the side loop. That load isn't too bad to carry around when you have the strap and the helper strap pulled to a comfortable position.

On our vacation out to SFO earlier this month I carried it as my carry on. But not only did I have my regular gear, I also had my iPod, 2 cell phones + chargers, the battery charger for my camera, and my Garmin GPS with its windshield mount. That was about maxed out and a little bit heavy, but it was worth it to not have to check any of the electronics.

thank you for posting those pictures with measurements. I have the 100, just ordered the 200 but am now worried it's going to be too small. My 70-200 lens is 8" so on camera it won't fit in there. Crap!

I have/use the 300.

Fits camera + 70-200 f/2.8IS.

I guess I can put in 6 more lens the size of 17-40, or 3 lens + another long lens. Do not have this many lens, so just guessing based on what I can put in (17-40L, 50 f/1.8, 100 macro).

If I store hoods & tripod ring in compartment at top, I can store flash on top of 70-200.

Make sure you do whatever it is on a Saturday because 5-6 hrs of carrying this around ... you will need Sunday to recover :)

I have the AW200 and love it. No pictures ATM, but I keep my D300 with 24-70mm attached, 85mm, 50mm, 35mm and several 53mm filters in the main compartment... extra memory cards, miniflashlight, pocket knife and remote for the D80 in the inside flap...an SB-800, extra batteries and a couple of 77mm filters in the top compartment...notepad, pen, gum, adapter rings and misc in the outside pocket...a Lowepro lens case for my 12-24mm lens attached to the outside loop of the outside pocket and a Bogen monopod slides in the loops on the side. Full flask of tequila in the backside pocket that holds the counter-chest strap for securing the bag while on a hike.

Pretty freakin' handy bag IMO.

The 300 is significantly bigger than the 200. The 300 isn't abnormally huge either - sometimes it's nice to put a jacket in there.

Thanks everyone,
Jon thankyou for doing that with the tape measure, I know they give the internal size on the websites but that was one issue I was having as it says my Cirrus 140 which is tiny was only 1 inch smaller than some much larger 'looking' more expensive bags so it put me off most all of them.
I will measure camera this afternoon with lens attached normally I strap it over the front seat when it has that lens on but that wont work if there is a passenger sitting there.

Keith good to know I saw some size comparisons and it did look a bit abnormal at this point I just want all my stuff in one place though otherwise i'm going to end up loosing things.

This topic came up a few years ago and I took this photo to give that OP a better idea of how large the 200AW really is. Bags are just plain difficult to shop online... you have to see them in person.

130196320.jpg

A Grey-Black Ferrari ?! ;)

While the slings are good (that's my camera bag most of the time), for longer carrying times, the load is still on one shoulder.
It's sometimes not comfortable having the strap across the chest (even less so for women).
It is also not comfortable getting it off.

IMO, a better choice is the Lowepro Fastback 250, which hangs on both shoulders AND has the quick access of the sling: you drop the left shoulder strap, swing it forward, and it opens like the sling.

The downside is that it's somewhat larger, but then, it comes with no commitment to fill the empty space... :)

crap! mine just got here in the mail today and while it fits everything I have right now, I want one more lens (nikon 105mm macro) and there is no room for it! GAH!
Also, with the telephoto in there, I can't get the divider to fasten to the side, it's open on the end. I worry it's going to fall out!

Most reactions

Back