LR cc... testing, testing 1, 2, 3...

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Jeez, I wasn't even through reading/studying Scott Kelby's Lightroom5 book for Digital Photographers and now LR cc is out. Well, I was happy to see some new features and anxious to try some out. I consider it my 30th sobriety anniversary present. ;) I drove to my original home group for my birthday meeting and stopped along the way to make some pictures. This is one of them.

I usually bracket shots when I do sunsets - one over, one on and one under exposed - but I don't, rather, never have done HDR. Although many of you know I do like my pictures to be vibrant and I have way over-saturated a picture or 5, I've been trying to "tone it down." I don't care for a lot of HDR pictures I've seen, but the samples I saw in the videos about LR 6/CC didn't seem to be that kind of HDR.

The picture below is my first HDR, but I tried to keep it mild-ish. It was a promising sunset to come, but I didn't want to be late for my meeting, so this isn't quite a sunset. That would have meant waiting another 15 or 20 minutes.

But that isn't the only thing that made this picture a challenge for me. There are more than 2 dozen stumps in the field of view in this picture. I removed them with the healing brush in LR CC. This was a good test of the performance enhancements to LR CC and it did fairly well. I've done healing operations in the past and it was extremely slow going. Previously, zooming to 1:1 and then using the brush and moving the image to find more spots to heal was a real drag. This picture took much less time, but it wasn't as speedy as I'd hoped. Moving the image was very quick - a marked difference from LR5. But the healing brush was a little slow. Not as slow as LR5, but almost.

Okay, now the picture. I have no idea why the property owner didn't have all them stumps pulled or ground down. I've included a smaller version of the picture with the stumps left in.

Nikon D810, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD at 55mm, f/8, ISO 100 and 1/250, 1/125 & 1/60s merged, hand-held.
graeagle1504-08-1080x.jpg

Here it is with/stumps:
graeagle1504-08-stumps.jpg

Jim

I've allways found photoshop easier to use for cloning than lightroom if there's a lot of it to be done.
I've been real slow learning how to do stuff in PS CC. I also have Scott Kelby's "Photoshop for Lightroom Users" but have barely cracked the spine. I was spending more time with the LR5 book instead, but now that 6/CC is out, I suspect there will be new books on that version forthcoming. I'll have to put my nose into the PS book now.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for posting Jim. I've been curious as to how well LR does HDR images. This looks pretty good.

I downloaded it for the trial, will poke around with the new features.

You live in one of the most beautiful places in Cali. I wish I could move back.

Most reactions

Back