Lucky Guy needs help

Maddjack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all yet another noob,but one with a that has had a good day.
I just won a contest and recieved a $2500 gift certif. at a photography shop.Up until now I just had a fujifilm s5100 liked taking pics of family , closeups of flowers sunrises ,and stuff like but with this oppertunity seems like a good time to really get some high end stuff.Anyways help me out here camera ,lenses ,etc.(aready have a tripod).I seems everyone here thinks highly of Nikon.

So to start maybe a Nikon D80 but what lenses how important is a flash ?any help would be welcomed

I think that the D80 and an external flash (sb800?) would be a pretty good combo. I would recommend getting just the d80 body and a wide angle lens (for landscapes/sunrises) a macro lens (for closeups) and a mid range prime or zoom something in the 20-70 range for your everyday family shots and the like. I have a Nikon and love it but Canon's are also very good I have heard.

Don't just go on reccomendations though, go to the store and try out the different bodies to see how they owrk for you. If i went Nikon, definitely a d80, D200 or D300. More comparable to a Canon 40D robustness and feel. Lenses: 105 VR for macro, 24-70 f/2.8.

Thanks the the lense break down Coldow .The guy at the store was saying the same thing about Canon as well hmmm so much to think about .
A prime lense ? this is a new one I have seen ppl talking about.It dosent zoom ?I will have to read up on this .

Personally I would go Nikon, but many others will say differently. If you have the dough a d200 might be the way to go but a D80 will hold its own as well. The reason that people get prime lenses(fixed focal length, no zoom) are they can be and almost always are sharper and crisper, and also they usually are f/1.8 or something around that so they are fast and good in low light. If you don't understand just ask.

I think that you should stick to a slightly lower/mid end body like the D80, 40 or 30D, or even the Xti, (maybe a stretch), but get the best lenses you can get. You'll probably want an overall one for your snapshots, and also something in the portrait range maybe. Also factor in accessories, such as memory cards and bags, stuff like that. Research lenses suiting your type of photography.

I am always surprised at the lack of Fuji S5 owners/users. It uses Nikon lenses, a D200 body, but has a better sensor. I say go for the S5. I LOVE mine. You will still have enough dough to get a sweet lens, too. Go with a prime for the speed and sharpness. :wink:

Lucky you..:)

I don't want to start anything but ..Nikon..Canon....it's up to you. Camera doesn't make good photographs - you do. Those are two major photo brands and whatever you feel comfortable with that's what you should buy. Just go to a local photo store, play with different models, brands and decide with one is best for you. I would stick with either Nikon or Canon but you have to decide whit one to buy:):).
Lenses can be very expensive but with that kind of budget you should be able to buy wide angle lense 18-55mm , zoom lens 55-200mm or 70-300mm, external flash and some other accessories (filters, bag, tripod).

I agree with what a previous poster said: best is to try a few ones, and see whichever fill your needs. Especially since you're talking about a specialized shop (and not a Best Buy, where they sell a little of all). Leave home with some idea of what you want, and knowing your goals with the camera (do you want to take landscape shots, or people's? Night shots or mostly during the day? Does brand matter?). Once there, ask for assistance, and try out as many as you want until you decide.
And remember the beauty of the U.S.: you can always bring it back soon after if you change your mind.
Cheers!
Danny.

Double H, check your inbox ;)

I'd say get a Nikon D200, from what I've seen, they look good :D

Thanks for all the help everyone .I will let you all know what I end up with and hopefully become more of a regular here.

I look forward to seeing some shots!

Please don't ask for advice on a specific brand. The only reason I say is because like always, people advocate the brand THEY shoot with and nothing else. Have you noticed that from the posters above?

Yeah, I drive a Chevy truck. I think you should buy a Chevy. They're fun and reliable. What good is a recommendation like that? You could probably make a better decision by consulting the car salesman.

Someone above suggested going to the camera store and playing with the cameras on display. This is the best idea.

All of the big brands (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc.) take just as good pictures as the next brand. You will find photographers that take pictures that will BLOW YOU AWAY from all of these brands. This is because the brand has little effect on picture outcome for a photographer with a touch of skill. They all take pictures very well, and can take pretty pictures if you expose right and have a sense of composition.

SO BRAND DOESN'T MATTER, HUH?

It can matter. A particular brand may have an interface that better suits you. Some cameras/brands will have an interface that may seem counter intuitive for you. Other cameras/brands will have interfaces that just make common sense for you

Likewise, the ergonomics and feel of certain cameras count too. You don't want a camera that is too small or big for your hand do you? You don't want a camera that has buttons in awkward places.

DOES BRAND EVER MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE?

Sometimes, some brands trump others in certain technological areas. But only if you have a specific technological need. If you're going to just do average shooting, there's no technological need for one brand vs another.

Brands can come into play when needs such as certain types of lenses, or accessories become necessary.

For instance:

* If you want large selections of affordable telephotos then I think Canon can help you out.
* If you need super wide angle, then another brand could help you out.
* If you need a system with some extremely light bodies in the camera system Olympus can help you out. (The E-330 is small and light)
* If you need super amounts of megapixels, the $29,384 Hassleblad H3D will definitely be the tool for the job.
* If you need high ISO performance in dim situations, a full frame body (at expense and extra weight) from Canon and Nikon (or someone else?) are your ticket.

So yes, brands can be the difference between making a mistake or not, but only if you have specific technical requirements. Lens lineups have a lot to do with technical requirements.

As I hope you can see, this question is infinitely more complex then "Hi, I want a DSLR, but I don't know my exact needs. Any idea on brands?"

I say go to the store, and buy the camera that makes you say "This feels like it'd be fun to shoot with.", because after all I assume you want this experience to be fun. If you base your decision by our camera gear decision, you're buying the camera that was best for us but not yourself. If it's been one thing I've learned about purchasing photo equipment, it's that.

POSTSCRIPT NOTEs:
(Personally, I think I'd grab any brand but Canon at this point. I've met too many people who have run into defective lenses, backfocus, frontfocus, no focus, every day people post about problems with Canon gear they just purchased on forums. More so than the other brands it seems (maybe simply because they're the most purchased brand?) Some people have to exchange a lens 3-4 times before they get a lens that works as it should. Canon gear seems like good gear.. but it seems like it takes a while to get a good "copy" of the gear. I've never owned Canon gear to comment on this directly, but most of my photography buddies use Canon and every other new Canon user I meet has commented about problems like this, or has a friend who has experienced problems like this. Just FYI. Google "Canon Quality Control issues" to just get a taste of what I'm saying. Canon users, don't flame me, I'm just sayin'!)

Most reactions

Back