Lumix G1 opinions/experiences?

Will Brink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brinkzone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone out there with experience with this new camera? I did a search and didn't see much. The reviews I have read have been generally positive, but you know how reviews are....what the "real world" experience with this new 4 thirds standard camera?

As no one responded, I guess I am the only one who has experience so far with the G1? I purchased it last week for $629. Retail, didn't see worth it, but at that price it did. So far, no complaints. Seems to live up to the mostly positive reviews. Easy to use, works as advertised, pics look great, but have not had time to take any pics of note for real comparisons and I am still getting used to digital as a medium beyond simple point and shoot cams.

It's hard for me to view this cam as more then a toy. I am still locked into cameras as being larger and heavier as "real" cameras. My Nikon f100 for example is built like a tank.

It seems camera bodies in general are lighter these days until you get up D300 or so, at least in the Nikon line.

Having said the above, I'm still tempted to get an N90 instead, but the size and weight of the G1 is impressive for what seems just slightly less quality and less ISO flexibility.

Update: Have had the G1 for some time now, and couldn't be happier with it. For the type of shooting I do, it's been ideal. In fact, I may give the G1 to the GF and get the G2 for the added features.

glad you like it... I have one too but it has been recently overshadowed by an E-PL1. As you have discovered there are not to many here interested in the m4/3rd format... oh well.

glad you like it... I have one too but it has been recently overshadowed by an E-PL1. As you have discovered there are not to many here interested in the m4/3rd format... oh well.

Oh well indeed. Considering the sales of the Panasonic, it would seem the format is here to stay. After giving it enough time, I'm giving up my 30lb Nikon f100 and going all digital.

btw.. there's a couple other forums dedicated to the format.. google and you shall find.

The format is doing very well in Japan and other European countries... very slow to take hold in the U.S. The consumer market in the US is not as gradient... more polarized between:

* Consumers who see and follow the professionals with their bigger cameras and lenses
* Consumers who don't fall into serious photography and go with P&S.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-my-thoughts-panasonic-g1-w-manual-glass.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...reviews/208822-my-thoughts-olympus-e-pl1.html

Most reactions

New Topics

Back