Lunar Eclipse... What do you think ?

What is there to critique? It's a picture of the moon... imo its boring.

It appears you got the exposure right, but to me there's way too much black space. I'd crop some of it (not all..) out.

I'm hoping I can get a lens that'll be able to pull the moon in and almost fill the entire frame some day..but until then I'm also stuck with cropping... :)

What is there to critique? It's a picture of the moon... imo its boring.

well, it is a red moon in total eclipse .. to be seen not often.

so the subject of the image is not boring.

I wonder though, where the stars are .. this moon is many f/stops darker than a full moon, so you should have been able to capture stars around it!? If you had, there would be more in the frame making it more interesting.

I agree^ there needs to be more in the frame. But it is a sweet looking moon

You could have tried double exposing it to get some stars in the frame. Nothing a trip out tonight and photoshop can't fix :)

You could have tried double exposing it to get some stars in the frame. Nothing a trip out tonight and photoshop can't fix :)

but in total eclipse the moon is about as dim as the stars are ... so they should be on that shot already. no need for double exposure I'd guess.

or maybe it was just too hazy for stars ? I had no trouble getting Moon and stars in one exposure.

Next to some stars that are in the pic, all that is red and blue are hot pixels.

And this is not just ANY photo of the moon. This is the moon at a full eclipse. That makes it something special, indeed.

And this is not a photo that can be re-shot easily on any night following this event! Full eclipses of the moon are somewhat rarer to be witnessed and photographed.

I guess you work with a 300mm-zoom lens, teishu?
That given, you will always get a lot of sky, you just can zoom in any closer ... you can go for tighter crops, but in the case of my lens, the tighter crops only show what a poor lens mine is and the pic becomes unfavourably blurry and noisy... sniff-sniff :(.

Next to some stars that are in the pic, all that is red and blue are hot pixels.

And this is not just ANY photo of the moon. This is the moon at a full eclipse. That makes it something special, indeed.

And this is not a photo that can be re-shot easily on any night following this event! Full eclipses of the moon are somewhat rarer to be witnessed and photographed.

I guess you work with a 300mm-zoom lens, teishu?
That given, you will always get a lot of sky, you just can zoom in any closer ... you can go for tighter crops, but in the case of my lens, the tighter crops only show what a poor lens mine is and the pic becomes unfavourably blurry and noisy... sniff-sniff :(.

No, its not a 300mm lense, as its more of a point and shoot camera... says its a 6.4-51.2mm lense, and it has and optical zoom of 8x. Im planning on getting an DSLR later this year.Should i try reediting it to remove hotpix without removing stars ?

Yes. Try that.
And hey, for a photo taken with a "p&s" ... it is GOOD!
I went to all the trouble of mounting my camera and its zoom lens to the tripod ... with an outcome that is at best equal to yours, if not worse :shock: ... I must be doing something wrong here!!!

Most reactions

Back