Mac, PC(Windows), or Linux/Unix

What OS do you use for editing?

• Total voters
Lets put it this way, I've never had a good experience with a Mac. So I don't feel like I should be giving any money to Steve Jobs for his babied down OS that he markets to people that don't have as great of an understanding of the way a computer works.

Well now that's a little more reasonable. :lol: This whole "Macs are EVIL!" "Macs are GREAT!" thing is so old. *sigh*

Evidently there are Macs worth using, you've just had a lot of misfortune in using them. I could say the same thing about Windows. Oh and hey, *points to previous posts* I think I'm qualified as a person who has some understanding of how a computer works. And I use a Mac. Guess I must be crazy. :lol: (As for the OS being babied down, under the hood it's hardcore UNIX/FreeBSD, so no...it's got a lot of meat to it and is a HECK of a lot nicer environment to work in than Windows.)

I've been a Mac user for almost 10 years. I have never had a problem other than my hard-drive going out in my most current iMac (which took less than 15 minutes to change, btw). But that's the kind of thing that can happen to any computer.

To be fair, I never had too many problems with my pc's in the past. The last time I used a windows machine (outside of playing on friends') was when XP just released SP1.

Now, we use old white-polycarbonate Power-PC iMacs at work. The ones before the built-in cameras. These, however slow they may be compared to ANY newer computer, never fail. The only issues we have are network issues because of the crap-wiring in our office building. I think that speaks pretty highly for the hardware and software in Macs. I just don't understand how so many of you guys have had so many problems with Macs. No one has that many problems, that often with ANY COMPUTER.

I vote for OSX. Also, I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (whoooo). I just really like the cleanliness. Regardless of how small that reason may be, that what it is for me.

Snow Leopard's out? I have to admit I don't pay much attention. *Looks* ... An OS upgrade for $29. ... Okay, I'd like to see Microsoft do that with Windows 7 from Vista. :lmao:

You laugh, but Snow Leopard is an upgrade that's light on new features, and heavy on optimization and speed. Microsoft called that Vista SP1, and then Vista SP2. They didn't charge a dime for it!

Oh, and I did get Windows 7 with its major interface overhoul, and new features to go with every new UI element for $49.

Today it "updated" and windows stoped booting.

Mine has been doing that too...

I turned off automatic updates, and it seems to be working better. It still downloads them automatically, but I have it set to only install what I say to, when I say to.

Today it "updated" and windows stoped booting.

Mine has been doing that too...

I turned off automatic updates, and it seems to be working better. It still downloads them automatically, but I have it set to only install what I say to, when I say to.

ya I reinstalled and have now disabled the stupid updates.
Seems to be working ok.

I use a fairly powerful PC, I built, running Vista.

I tried using my wifes laptop to edit for a week, and it was horrible. The lag drove me nuts, I couldnt imagine using it full time. It was on Vista as well, with a 1.86GHz Pentium Dual-Core and 3G of ram.

I tried using my wifes laptop to edit for a week, and it was horrible. The lag drove me nuts, I couldnt imagine using it full time. It was on Vista as well, with a 1.86GHz Pentium Dual-Core and 3G of ram.

That's because Vista is a memory whore. And that point can't be argued; it just is. :lol: (I get by just fine with all of 2GB of RAM on my MBP, and can relatively easily run all my browses and stuff plus LR2 and PS. Yay for stability! )

Can't you get Windows 7 for free if you purchased Windows Vista Retail?

It depends on where you bought it, and when you bought it.

Well that kinda sucks. :-/ (Snow Leopard also comes with iLife '09 and iWork '09, so...they've tacked-on a WHOLE lot of value for a measly $30.)

That's because Vista is a memory whore. And that point can't be argued; it just is. :lol: (I get by just fine with all of 2GB of RAM on my MBP, and can relatively easily run all my browses and stuff plus LR2 and PS. Yay for stability! )

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. You mean that when I was running Vista with PS CS3 and all my browsers, that was all a big charade? There's a gigantic difference between using a lot of memory and wasting a lot of memory. Vista uses roughly half of your RAM whether you have 1GB or 5049u5934875934875934875943875943875934759487947593875 GB. It caches frequently used programs to open quickly, and if some other program needs that memory, it releases it. How is this a bad thing? Seriously. Your programs open more quickly, and more of them depending on how much memory you have, and if something else needs it, it can have it. Really, I'd rather have my 8GB of memory there AND used for something useful than seeing just how much is free. Why have a lot of memory if you're just going to complain that your OS wants to use it?

I used Vista with anything between my 8GB and my original 512MB, and guess what... it was fine either way. Vista had a bad first impression, but that doesn't mean it's a bad OS. It's been as quick as XP with all the new features since SP1 (at the latest). Really, I've found most of the complaints are made by people who haven't looked at it in years, and not by very computer savvy people who use it on a daily basis.

Gah, the Steve Jobs indoctrinated. I'll defend Windows (Especially Vista and 7, because they are very good), but I don't have to resort to bashing other products to do so. That's something I've found peculiar to Mac ads and users...

Last edited:
ok, my 2cents,

i have always used xp until i got a laptop with vista on it just 3 months ago, and knowing that vista does use a lot of ram i upgraded from 2 to 4gigs, and i must say i actually really like it. other than a few little problems like when i play a certain game when i hit capslock it exits the game and i cant maximize it back. always says its not responding. which kinda sucks but no biggy.

now that i have started school. (goin to get my photography certificate) i have gotten to use the imacs. and i do like them too, just a little different.

i think that i would actually choose a mac over a pc just because of the fact that macs just seem more simple.(less stuff to mess with so less of chance of messin it up!) and that it runs the programs i like really nicely, just not games. lol.

but, after downloading all the trials for indesign, illustrator, and ps. i must say, i am really suprised how fast my pc loads it all up. i think its faster than the macs at school! except sometimes it stops responding. lol.

but ya,

I LIKE BOTH! they both have their ups and downs.

its all personal preference!

I have had a **** load of problems with Windows

But it isn't because of windows. It is because I am downloading Software which i shouldn't be...
Like hack tools (never hacked anyone just like oplaying with them and understanding how they work.. when they **** my own machine over..)
and the odd few "legit" software
When doing anything your not, you will get virus' unless you know what your doing, now i have experienced most of it, i am more aware of how to stop it, But i formatted my computer 10 times last month cause i tried Linux Ubuntu 9.10 (Jaunty)
I tried to install vista, but linux never wrote to it correctly (tbh i would have still used linux if it could run photoshop i think...)
so had to reinstall linux, then downloaded XP (yes.. it is legal to download OS, You buy the License key, not the software)
Installed xp using an old key none my drivers worked so had to go back to linux etc.. etc.. finally got vista back and my drivers... (if i used a desktop pc it wouldn't be as much hassle but i use a Laptop, Which yes, does feel tacky as though the screen will fall off any second)
However i prefer the Windows File layout, I find it easier to work with, Sure macs are easier to browse with, but less efficient...

Windows is more efficient but as a balance is more buggy, i haven't used macs much (excpet in school)
the macs loaded slower than my 10 year old pc...
and the macs in my school are renewed every 3 years...
and it was one of the newer ones they had, But newer isn't better all the time.

Therefore, since my low use of macs, I have nothign further to say, However, MAcs have their problems and windows has their problems, it is just like Canon vs nikon, It is all in what your looking to do with it, It is only a tool for you to use,
For GFX and other Media, Mac is best for its simplistic design and speed and its file storage system,
For everything else and gaming, Windows is the best

So really...
All us photogs should use macs but then we loose out on a right click button =[
(but mac is command + click for rightclick?)
and macs look much better, but that is just looks...
But my windows does everything i need it to.

I like messing around with the OS andexperimenting so tbh.. When / IF i get really serious about photography and the business, i'd buy a mac for my Processing, and purly processing and storage... And keep my windows for web browsing, uploading and messing around with, and possibly buy a second pc to use as a server for my website instead of paying £30 a month for hosting

Why is this no-right-click myth still around? o_O

OS X can handle a right-click mouse just fine. And Apple has been putting a right button on their mice for a good while now. Heck, my Logitech mouse has seven buttons and two scroll wheels. (Right-click is also mapped to one of the buttons on my grip pen for my tablet.)

The benefit I see is the design philosophy of the OS is to keep the user from needing to use right-clicking very much. The preference is to get you to use shortcuts as much as you can (and the design of the OS nudges you in that direction), which are faster than going through right-click dialogues.

Linux/Unix - Free and strong, but its not for easy street. This is the sort of operating system for people who really understand computers and require specific controls as well as not being afriad to work around things and such to get things to work. Its great for the average geek (which is why they like it so much) but not best suited to your average home owner user

That might have been true in the past but I don't think it is true anymore. Some Linux distributions are now straightforward to use. I am not very computer literate and far from being a computer geek and I run Ubuntu without many problems (fewer than Windows XP anyway). If you haven't used Linux for a while, give a distribution such as Ubuntu a try: you'll be amazed how Linux has got more user friendly.

The real problem with editing under Linux is that most hardware used to calibrate screens don't work with Linux.

Most reactions

Back