Macabre or just plain stupid?

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My brother in law and I have a weekly challenge with a different photography theme each week. This week is a shot of the macabre. I had a difficult time coming up w/ something and I'm not terribly happy with this so give me your true thoughts. I wondered what you all thought. Can you even tell what is going on here? Is it obvious, or just completely asanine? (Letter courtesy of Pink Floyd's "Goodbye")

macabreweb.jpg

i like it.

it took me a minute to see the feet in the background, so my first impression was just based on the letter and shot glass. before i noticed the feet, it didnt seem too macabre at all. since it took a minute to notice the feet, i think it adds the the impact of the whole picture IMO. my first thoughts were "hmmm.... ok. its a letter. kinda boring..." then i noticed the feet and my next thought was how would i feel if i walked into a house and happened to notice a letter like that, and then noticed the hanging feet after wondering what the letter was about. any picture that can give me a case of the creeps only after looking at it for a minute or 2 is better, IMO, than a picture thats more blatently obvious.

its after 4 in the morning here, so i hope that all makes sense. :lol:

It doesn't come much darker than this. Cleverly done.
Nige

Good idea, but maybe it´s a bit too obvious.

More subtle perhaps, to have the pen and a piece of paper on the table...lower camera angle, but without "readable" text...blurred feet as you have it in the background. The "hints" then give the viewer more room for imagination...the note is there, but what does it say?...

I like it, good emotion to the shot, very dramatic I think. I also like deanimator's idea about how to blur the text and all. Might look kinda cool.

The feet in the background I noticed immediately. Took me a while to notice them not being on the ground though. In my humble opinion this is just a bit too macabre...

Great shot. I really like the theme and how you have taken it. Very nicely done!

i really like this image. so simple and effective.

It's a great concept! one that shows a blurred background can hold answers...can have meaning.

I think the letter overdoes it. maybe a letter where you cannot really read any text. or no letter at all.

just my personal taste.

I like it. Although many people suggested a blurry text on the letter, and I agree on that point, I think that a selective shallow focus on the shot glass would work best, with both text (foreground) and feet being blurry.

Congrats though, it's a great picture.

The feet were the first thing I noticed, probably because I scrolled halfway down to read your post. I agree with these guys. The note takes away a lot of the mystery and a sense of anguish. Maybe a still-burning cigarette would work in it's place.

Most reactions

Back