Macbook Pro+external drive

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by lkWinnipesaukee, Oct 18, 2007.

1. lkWinnipesaukee

lkWinnipesaukee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm working on getting a Macbook Pro and an external drive (500gb?) as a desktop replacement. I had a few questions.

-Will 2.4ghz, 2gb of RAM be enough for Photoshop?
    -If I put my photos on the external drive, will that bottleneck the system when i try to access it?
    -Any accessories you guys recommend?

Thanks

2. Reel1

Reel1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 2.4 MBP will be plenty for photoshop ( providing it is CS3) 2 gb of ram is great but 4 would be even better.

You will notice a slight slow down with your external drive but is only a minor problem.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    If you can afford it... max out on memory. Photoshop is memory bound more than CPU.

Depends on your external drive. USB and firewire will both experience a slow down compared to internal drives. Use the internal disk as workspace and an external drive (USB or firewire) as archival.

4. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    I'd also use an external monitor for final adjustments. Laptop displays are notoriously bad for photo editing...

5. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Internal hard drives are slow on laptops - most of the normal drives are 5400 RPM, and cheap ones are 4200 RPM. Most desktop and external drives are 7200 RPM, so there will be a noticable difference in disk access time. So if the external is connected via something like FW 800, I would almost think it could be faster to read/write to that rather than the internal disk, but I'm not sure how exactly the time compares.

PhotoShop can only access 3 GB of RAM, but more RAM can be used by the system, etc. So I think the Macbook Pros max out at 4 GB, which would still be useful. But I do my work with 1.5 GB of RAM, so it's quite useable.

6. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

I have the same MacBook Pro except it's the 2.2GHz version. I still only have the 2GB of RAM, but it handles CS2 fine with very little slowdown. More RAM helps, and the Hard Drive is 5400RPM in standard form so with a Firewire 800 external drive, you shouldn't have any issues.

7. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    OooooOOOoo.. I didn't realize that the latest version of MacBook Pros have firewire 800. Definitely go with a firewire 800 capable external drive. I have one on my desktop and it is a big difference from both USB and firewire 400.

I also noticed that the MacBook Pro can be ordered with a 160gb 7200rpm internal at a premium of $225. I would definitely consider going with the faster internal.

Also... it is still a good idea to max out the memory. Apple sells their memory at a premium so consider another party. I have always had good experiences from ordering parts from www.macsales.com