Maci Beach Shoot.

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
Photographed in lovely Hermosa Beach. I find beach locations challenging. The light is forever changing. Not to mention the wind and wet feet.

Let me know what you think.

Love & Bass

20100124dsc0047.jpg

20100124dsc0075.jpg

20100124dsc0163.jpg

I think that #1 would benefit from some work on her eyes, especially the irises. They seem to have less contrast than the rest of the image.

In #3, the horizon is tilted...maybe doesn' matter, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

Also, what did you say to piss her off so much? ;)

Thanks for the comments gang!!!!! There are some smiling photos, but neither the client or I liked them. Smiles in general is a whole other story. Kind of right up there with showing teeth. On the other hand I am now worried that she did not smile through the whole shoot; although we had a blast.

I feel you on the orange skin tone. I have been battling it all weekend. I did not want to lose the sunset feel and the cooler tones were bringing me down. In this case only I give permission for additional edits on my photos. Full explanation of course.

Love & Bass

The only thing that stood out to me that hasn't already been mentioned is the reflections caught in her eyes in picture No.1. They just tend to distract me from the composition.

Otherwise, good stuff!

-D. J.

I'll keep the orange skin comments going, cause its true, as is the blotchiness. I feel like the 1st one is a bit soft too, maybe from PP, I don't know, maybe its just me and my damned sleepy eyes. Good work though for sure. Make her smile next time. haha.

Craig how about some off camera looks? I think that would add wonders to the shoot.

Beach shots can get tricky. If it isn't foggy or cloudy then I'm forced to use flash or maybe sometimes getaway with a tri-grip diffuser. Being that we're in the west coast the only time we can really get away with natural light when it comes to beach shots in the background is during the morning to late morning. The sunsets are tough to shoot without any external light or modifiers when the subject's back is against the ocean.

Camz! The advice is on point! I will have to try your tech. It has got to beat the beach at sunset. Location work is the pits. I am going back to the studio where I belong.

Love & Bass

I agree that off-camera looks would've benefited here; instead of sultry or even serious she just looks angry.

Beach locations ARE tricky. What are your settings on these? I've found recently that setting the f-stop higher (f/10 - f/13) than necessary, and then lightening it up with some front fill can do wonders. Usually the sun still lights the background enough, and you can get a more even skintone! Also gives you more ability to play with the background in post.

Oh and I dont mind the horizon being tilted, it gives a feeling of movement.

Thanks for the comment RM! I was all over the place. These particular photos were in the ƒ5.6 @ 1/400 range. At this moment in time blasting her with more light is only a dream. I need to get one of those battery operated flash thingies.

Love & Bass

Hey, Craig. I think you have something good goin' on in the first view. It's the posing in the other two that keeps me from "buying." Just not natural-lookin'.

But the first one is pretty nice! The tilt of the head... the crop... expression... all working for me.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back