Macro and Flashes

mommy22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon 60mm Macro and am trying to really "master" macro. I got some books from the library and most of them suggest using a flash, but some recommend "ring" flashes and other flashes that clip onto the actual lenses. I have both a SB600 and a SB400-that should be enough I would think but I am new at this...

Any tips?

I have a Nikon 60mm Macro and am trying to really "master" macro. I got some books from the library and most of them suggest using a flash, but some recommend "ring" flashes and other flashes that clip onto the actual lenses. I have both a SB600 and a SB400-that should be enough I would think but I am new at this...

Any tips?

With what you already have...you definitely don't need a ring flash. If you have seen any of my threads...all of them are done with a single SB-600 off the side of the lens. LordV is without question one of the best macro shooters on earth and he shoots with a single flash head hanging of the side of the camera via a flash bracket.

Ring flashes, unless they allow different intensities per side, will give you very flat flash. It is not realistic lighting to have the light source coming from the same exact direction as the lens. A little bit of angled or directional light (off-axis) gives you much more pleasing light with some subtle shadows placed where they are needed to give some depth to the photo.

With your setup, I'd recommend getting a flash bracket so you can mount your SB-600 to the upper side of your lens and get a lumiquest mini-softbox to shoot your SB-600 through. This will get you going pretty nice and is almost an identical setup to what I use. You will get much better results from this than even I do by using a 60mm versus my 180mm. Your subjects will be closer to the light source thus making the lightsource bigger in perspective to the subject....this will give you softer light that is easier to control.

Hope that helps....and I'll try to find you a cheap flash bracket that will work if I get a chance to search later....check B&H photo in the meantime or search google for "Macro Flash Bracket" and you'll probably get the idea.

Okay....this would probably work...I don't have a bracket like this because I have mine mounted to the tripod mount of my lens...which your lens doesn't have.....but this bracket should do the job and has good reviews.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89959-REG/Hama_HA_6811.html

I have a cord almost identical to the one below. It is great because it allows TTL, but the best part is that it has a swivel for the flash mount which lets you position the flash exactly where you want (a good angle)...this has been very valuable for me.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609475-REG/Dot_Line_RS_0441_1_RPS_TTL_Off_Camera_Flash.html

...and I'd go ahead and grab you a mini-softbox for the soft light...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544395-REG/LumiQuest_LQ_108_Mini_SoftBox_for.html

All of that will run you less than 70 bucks and will get you really, really great lighting for macro and use your existing equipment. You could really use this setup with your SB-400 for more compactness, but the SB-600's extra power will come in handy...as will it's faster recycle rates. If you don't have rechargables for your SB-600, head to Walmart and get some of those too. 2450 mah or higher...you will be shocked at how much faster the recycle rates are and that will be nice if you are ever shooting little critters

Last edited:
GREAT! Thanks, I will buy these things Friday!

Most reactions

Back