macro equipement help.

Interesting point on the use of auto focus TC. Most of the macro shooters I know remain fully in manual focus (as I do myself) and find (as I have) that AF tends to be a bit too erratic and slow for close up work. Butterflies and dragonflies and other larger bugs are not too bad and 1:2 macro (which is really closeup work) tends to be ok with such but around 1:1 I find things become far easier with manual focus.

You're right. Most do use manual. I did for along time, but found that the razor thin DOF and manual had me missing the focus too much. As you know, even the very slightest movement (in or away) from the subject results in OOF. It will hunt on occasion in low contrast, but I simply switch to manual or use the built in lamp on my macro ring flash. This is a nice feature on a macro flash.

You should give it a try sometime. I have no idea how the focus systems compare between Sigma and Canon. The one thing I should add though, is using AI Servo means you can't focus then reframe - unless you use a focus lock feature. With that said though, reframing almost always results in OOF.

I assume the OP is not using the new 100mm L which has IS? This is usually most effective with a slight pause after focus. Which may make it even more difficult to catch the focus.

BTW Overread. Nice shots on your flickr. I saw you use a sock on your lens to protect it. Great idea, if you want camo, consider using an archery arm protector made by Real Tree.

Last edited:
Interesting on the lighting point, I knew the twinflash macro lights had the light booster but not the ringflash as well. Also you might find this interesting
New Macro Tracking function on 7D - BirdForum

an AF mode more dedicated to macro work - it could make 1:1 based macro work a lot easier and with af capable setups beyond 1:1 (with light boosting) as well.

wow, interesting. Thanks for sharing. Nice knowing you don't have to buy a new body to get the same effect though.

I don't recommend extension tubes. That do not allow for infinity focus and are very challenging with very little benefit. Especially with the 100mm. If you want super magnifications though, they can do a lot with a 50mm lens. The canon MP65 lens will do this with no extension tubes, but it's expensive. For normal 1:1 macro, the 100mm is perfect all by itself!

I second the suggestion for a 430ex (with a canon you'll maintain the ETTL for exposure) with a lumiquest softbox or other diffuser. With the 100 mm, this works very well mounted directly on the camera due to the minimum focus distance of 6 inches. You'll want an off camera cord eventually for lighting control. Like someone posted, the 430 is more versatile so start there. Down the road if you really like it, invest in a macro flash.

A tripod isn't necessary if you use external lighting. I never use one. However, if you want ambient light and no flash, you'll need a tripod. Unless you use high ISO to get the shutter speeds up. Bugs can be very hard to get if your shutter speeds are too slow.

DOF is very thin with macro, so you'll have to close the aperture (higher number) in order to get enough DOF. This means you need more light to get your shutter speeds up, hence the need for flash or LOTS of ambient light. With that said, some folks like very thin DOF for their macro which makes the requirement for light not as critical.

If you use external light and want to hand hold, I suggest the following settings to get you started:
Manual Settings
Shutter=200
Aperture=f8-13
Focus mode=AI Servo (helps keep things focused with thin DOF)
Focus Point- Center only
ISO=100

Hope this helps
First of all, I want to thank you for being so specific in your advise. It was very helpful. I however, already bought the extension tubes-you are right, they do not help with my magnification at all. I however, may not have my camera settings correct while using them either. I just looked at your website. It is exactly what I am talking about. THOSE, (macro), are what I am wanting to do. It is what I have been trying to capture since I got my tamron 90mm 1:1 . I just did not know what I was doing wrong, that my images are not close enough.I also, last week, bought a phoenix macro flashring. Have not opened the box yet. Is that a good purchase for me? I do not own any other external flashes. I only shoot outside for insects and flowers of course, so thought the ringflash with the extension tubes would serve me well. I got the macro book of Brian Peterson, and he DID, recommend these. However, I am willing to purchase whatever I need to get shots like yours. They are wonderful. I have no desire to profit from any of my photography, I am retired and just want to emjoy this hobby on aa serious level. I know my shots won't look, at your quality, cause you probably have an expensive camera also, but that is my goal- to be like you:blushing:..... thank you for all you have helped with thus far, and if you can keep me on the right track, I will so much be grateful. Thank you in advance for any help. It is so kind of you to take your time to help others. As this forum is all about learning, and you are using it to help others. How kind.

Mahum, Thanks for your comments. Sounds like you have a ringflash and a 90mm macro lens. Not knowing what camera you have, I think all you need to do is try those settings in my previous post. Macro is tricky, once you learn it, you'll understand your camera on a whole new level.

good luck

wow love how this thread grew. hopefully people can get useful info here. :)

cheers!

wow love how this thread grew. hopefully people can get useful info here. :)

cheers!
did you ever get a ringflash? I did but it is only workking on fullauto.

Mahum, Thanks for your comments. Sounds like you have a ringflash and a 90mm macro lens. Not knowing what camera you have, I think all you need to do is try those settings in my previous post. Macro is tricky, once you learn it, you'll understand your camera on a whole new level.

good luck
My camera is rebel XSI. I got out my ringflash on Sunday, and it is probably something I am doing wrong: but , I can only get to flash on full auto. On manual nothing happens.
Do you use a ringflash for the insect pix on your website? They are great.
I don't know where you live, but I don't have those insects in NW Missoru:D,,,,, So, knowing my camera now, any more advise on how to get "your" look? Thank you BTW, everyone who loves macro should visit your website !!!!

Marsha, Yes, most all the shots are with ringflash. Some of the older ones I used a 430ex external flash.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with phoenix ringflash so I wont be able to help. I'm sure if you read the manual, you'll figure it out.

Once you get it working, post some samples and we'll be able to help.

Marsha, Yes, most all the shots are with ringflash. Some of the older ones I used a 430ex external flash.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with phoenix ringflash so I wont be able to help. I'm sure if you read the manual, you'll figure it out.

Once you get it working, post some samples and we'll be able to help.
I read the manual (twice). Nothing more than a pamphlet, really. Anyway, I think it is exclusive to Adorama, who I can not get to return my call, so guess I will wait till I meet someone who owns one. Are all ringflashes so different, ???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back