Macro extension tubes - useful in this situation?

Alright, first thing is first, I got a little impatient back there. With a bellows and extention tubes the threading is not required as they generally mount to the camera and lens normally, however reverse lens couplers often do need the threading so I'll splain it any ways as it could proove useful.

Alright, Your threads are damaged but that does not mean you can't make it useable. I buy only used lenses so I see this a lot. Here is what I did for several of my lenses and filters.

Look for a theaded Metal lens cap same diameter as the lens (I know Vivitar made them for some time) and thread it into the lens. Given the lens has good solid construction you can work it little by little with some force untill it threads on and off with ease. Be careful not to crossthread it, it's easier than it sounds. Minor dents just forceing the cap into place should suffice, taping down the high crowns is not a bad idea, but it's cosmetic and not necessary.

Some of the more gnarly of dents You will need a small hammer to tap the metal around the out side of the lens at the highcrowns of the dent with the lens cap behind the recess in order to get it to thread all the way in. Don't just pound at it (obviously) gently tap at it and continue working the cap in.

Sadly I don't think I have any dented threads at the moment otherwise I would make up an illustrated how to.

Do not attempt to straighten the threads on a lens with a metal ringed filter...they are too soft and will destroy the filter, however you can sometimes get away with straightening the threads on a filter this way but it's a lot harder to do and carries a proportionally higher risk.

Thanks SO MUCH!!!!!
I did know that the extension tubes/bellows would not need the threads to attach, but knowing how to fix it for the purpose of filters, reverse adaptors, and all kinds of other nifty little things in the future is excellent!

Thanks SO MUCH!!!!!
I did know that the extension tubes/bellows would not need the threads to attach, but knowing how to fix it for the purpose of filters, reverse adaptors, and all kinds of other nifty little things in the future is excellent!

Yeah, no problem. I really should put some effort into doing some illustrated tutorials, I'll keep this one at the top of the list if I can ever get motivated to do some.

I've never been able to successfully undent threads. Never had it happen to a lens tho - just filters.

But, umm, how much is a replacement lens on e-bay? Or even since macro is usually done at around f/11 ~ f/22 how about a cheeper slower replacement - say at around 100mm? ;)

I've never been able to successfully undent threads. Never had it happen to a lens tho - just filters.

But, umm, how much is a replacement lens on e-bay? Or even since macro is usually done at around f/11 ~ f/22 how about a cheeper slower replacement - say at around 100mm? ;)

I went to school for auto body repair...Fixing dents is one of my hobbies ;)

Yeah, no problem. I really should put some effort into doing some illustrated tutorials, I'll keep this one at the top of the list if I can ever get motivated to do some.

That would be great.

I can vouch for the method Battou describes having used it many years ago to sort out a minor dent caused by a friend slipping on ice whilst photographing snow scenes. It's a really great feeling rescuing a piece of kit like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back