Macro flash query

DorsetDave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I'm a keen photographer of some 35 years standing, mainly interested in sport and macro. Up until recently I have been using my Canon EOS 5D2 with a Canon 100m f2.8L macro lens. This gives 1:1 so is a true macro. Wanting to go a bit closer I bought the Canon 65mm MP macro that allows 5x magnification - a great lens that requires a bit of practice to use well. I supplemented this last week with a Metz ringflash but the manual doesn't really explain how best to use it. The unit works as a slave or a remote. It has no direct link to the camera body, using the camera flash as a trigger (although the 5D doesn't have one). Alternatively, you can connect a sync cable and it delivers 100% flash all the time. I am having problems getting correctly exposed images. Using the Metz set to Canon and using the sync cable (this combi NOT covered in the book) gives best exposures. Any ideas? Thanks.. Dave

So it's at 100% output all the time?? Ouch. I find I have to dial it back and forth (usually between 1/8 and 1/32) depending on magnification. Can you diffuse or physically block the light some how??

Which Metz rightlight?

If you have no option but to fire at 100%, then you're either going to have to slide some ND filters into the equation, or better yet, ditch this flash and buy one that supports full Canon TTL or at the very least, full manual control down to 1/32.

I had a Metz Mecablitz for a little while, didn't like it and sent it back. Didn't care for it.

If you want cheap.. the Sigma 140 ring flash is supposed to be decent... but I agree with TiredIron! Get the Canon MT-14 or MT-24's.... much better flashes, and best solution for that lens.

A few years ago, I wanted to get the Canon MT-24, but simply didn't have the budget for it, so I came up with a DIY solution that's worked well for me:

Buck's Macro Flash Bracket Project

It's pretty heavy to hand-hold, but I've done it plenty anyway, and I'm a 53 year old lightweight.

Maybe there's something useful in this that you can use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back