Macro Flash Ring Advice

PhotoPig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello again,

Im just getting started into macro photography......Just bought a Sigma 105mm 2.8, and Im probably gonna buy some extension tubes and a ring flash this week.
Anyone know about ring flashes....ie some affordable ones? I know with glass you always get what you pay for, but.......The Canon ring flashes are in the $600 USD range, Sunpacks in the 250 range. I have seen Vivitar/Pheonix ring flashes for like $90.....Im assuming theyre crap, but you never know until you ask.
Im doing this for hobby work, insects flowers etc, nothing professional (yet). So I figured for $90 how can you go wrong.....since Im not using a flash at all at the moment.

Thank you as always,
Bill

Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. - Winston Churchill

Make sure you want one first. A ring flash will give you even light all over the subject. It'll remove most if not all of the shadows. Will you want that when taking pictures of flowers and insects?
Could you be better off with a flash you can mount to the side of the subject to give you the light you want but still keep the detial showing shadows?

ferny said:
Make sure you want one first. A ring flash will give you even light all over the subject. It'll remove most if not all of the shadows. Will you want that when taking pictures of flowers and insects?
Could you be better off with a flash you can mount to the side of the subject to give you the light you want but still keep the detial showing shadows?

Hi,

Food for thought.....Im in the process of buying a Sigma 500 DG Super with a Canon off shoe cord 2, maybe that will suit my needs.....\

Thanks!

Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. - Winston Churchill

Most reactions

Back