Macro Flash Setup for Nikon

djhocking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I bought the Nikon R1 macro flash setup to use with my Nikon D70 and Nikkor 60mm micro lens. Most of my photography is of amphibians, reptiles, and insects so I though $450 well spent. I am a graduate student, so it was a lot of money. I hadn't realized when I bought it that the R1s don't have any way to adjust the flash output independently. Short of adjusting placement of the lights, this results in rather boring, flat images devoid of any shadow (unlike the equivelent canon setup). So I was going to return it and get 2 whimberly flash brackets and a second SB-600 flash. Unfortunately, I can't return it because I cut the side of the box to remove the proof of purchase. That aside, I do have a question as I might sell the R1 setup still.

The setup with 2 flash brackets seems like it would be a bit cumbersome but allow for maximum flexibility. Do people with experience have advice on using a bracket set up vs. the R1 flash system? I would love to hear the pros and cons before spending the money or selling the R1.
Feel free to post a reply or contact me directly at [email protected]

Is it possible to control the light output of the two SB 200s independently? Using the flash compensation on the D70 adjusts both. Say I setup my light placement where I want them but want the light on the left to have a stronger flash then the one on the right to produce an image with depth and directionality (i.e. the flash on the right acts as a fill flash for the left flash). I don't see a way to do this without adjusting the placement or angle of my flashes.

Welcome to the forum.

What about using one flash and a reflector?

oR HOW ABOUT PLACING A NUTRAL DENSITY FILTER ON THE LEFT FLASH AND REDUCE OUTPUT AS YOU WANT ND1,ND2 OR ND3

20 lb. white copier paper put over the flash reduces output by 1 stop. 2 thicknesses by 2 stops. I do this in the studio from time to time. Paper and tape should be laying around the house somewhere.

Most reactions

Back