Macro for a noob?!?!?

KC10Chief

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm getting ready to buy a Pentax K10D from B&H. I've been reading reviews and stuff on here. I'm going to get the kit lens with it, an 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 zoom lens, a 50mm f/1.4 prime, and the battery grip. I am also very interested in macro photography. Insects mainly. I'd like a macro lens in the 100mm range. I'm looking at these two...
This one is the Pentax 100mm f/2.8. It's about $125 more than the Sigma.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=351697&is=USA

This is the Sigma 105mm f2.8. It's cheaper and I can't tell any difference between this lens and the Pentax lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=351697&is=USA

I'm leaning towards the Sigma. I've had a couple of film SLR's before, but never had a Sigma lens. Is the Pentax lens worth the extra cash, or should I just go with the Sigma? Do you guys think that all of these lenses are too much to take on for a noob? I've taken a photography class before and am familiar with SLR's. I can afford it so that's not a problem. Thanks for any input!

I've got the Sigma 105 and am very happy with it - if that's any help

It is a help! Thanks! I'm probably going to go with the Sigma myself!

I'd go with the Pentax, just because I'm a first-party lens guy, but there is nothing at all wrong with Sigma. It's totally your call, I guess one thing to consider is how Sigma will be if there is a problem with a lens. I don't know much about Pentax though either, so, yeah, I'm not very helpful. I know I pony up the extra for Nikon lenses because Nikon has a good warranty, but Sigma might have a good one too for all I know.

I'm very happy with my Sigma 105mm F/2.8 macro. It's tack sharp.

About the 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 zoom lens... at the 250mm end at F/6.3, that makes this lens near useless in anything except very bright daylight. You may want to be aware of that.

I have found that there is no difference between sigma and first party lense except for the time and speed of the auto-focusing. generally first party lenses are generally built better then the generic, however there is nothing wrong with a generic brand lens, the picture that is taken has no difference. I would say, if you can afford it, then go with the first party class. In my opinion, if I were going to get a macro I would go with the first class pentax lens. furthermore, all pentax camera lenses have the same mount (stronger too) and all camera's and equip have weather stripping.

Do you guys think that all of these lenses are too much to take on for a noob? I've taken a photography class before and am familiar with SLR's. I can afford it so that's not a problem. Thanks for any input!

Only a problem if you intend not to use it. If macro is a passing fad for you then closeup filters or a set of bellows would be money better spent. But if you're like some of the macro junkies on this forum (myself included) it would be the best money you ever spend to get a proper 1:1 macro lens.

sigma has THE best customer service i've ever gotten from a camera/lens company. EVER. Email sigma, and guess what? they actually write back, usually within a day, if not earlier. And they're helpful. I had a friend who called them for something and a person actually answered. If you buy that lens, since its got the EX in the name, that means its one of their top level lenses wich also gives you a 4 year warranty on it. Just remember to fill out the card and keep your receipt and they'll help you out super fast. I'd highly recommend sigma just because you get great service and a better price.

I have the Sigma 105 f2.8 and it blows me away. (Canon Rebel XTi). For the extra $125 you should be able to get some extension tubes with it and REALLY go to town....
P.S. I think it was a guy with a digital SLR a 105 Macro and extension tube who discoverd Black Holes. You will need H U G E Amounts of light. But it will knock your socks off when you get it right.... (If you do go down this road the Sigma Ring flash is an obvious solution... But for MOST applications not quite powerful enough ( I.M.O.).

Most reactions

Back