Macro Help

Note if you have the extension tubes fitted you won't have longer distance focusing (a foot maybe at most of range) and the AF will be poorer at locking on - especaily if you have all the tubes connected. Take the tubes off and try again (if you have had them on the the first place)

actually guys the aperature blades had lock up so I had to press the DOF field button to release them. I am not sure how that happened but now i have no problem focusing and stuff. When i put on the Extension tubes it tends to lock the blades up and I am about to exchange them.

I agree about putting it on manual focus. However, if you are inside the minimum focusing distance for your lens, even manual won't let you get your subject in focus. How close are you getting to your subject?

Well, a 105mm macro is about the biggest one can use and go hand-held. Anything above that requires a nice firm tripod.

Second, at this level, your macro focusing *should* be done manually.

Third... yes, you could have done more research before trying to slap a low quality extension tube on a lens that already does macro.

"super macro" sounds interesting, but when you are a novice, taking pics of flowers and don't have a clear concept of photography, much less macro (or "super macro") in place... someone put the cart before the horse just a little.

300mm macro lens with something like 2:1 macro is about the limit of handheld that I have used (that is 150mm macro and 2*teleoconverter). And I tend to do 210mm macro and 1.4:1 macro as a normal setup (150mm + 1.4 teleconverter).

And I know people that use the MPE65mm at 3:1 macro handheld (now that is hard!).

and I think my horse ran off with the cart ;)

However a tripod is a great asset for flowers (they don't fly off see so you can take your time setting up). With a focusing rail (a 2 axis one is perfection!) its a good solid setup for macro work.

If you are shooting flowers then you might want to consider dumping the tubes and picking up the following.

One of these for support:
tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 055XPROB - PRO TRIPOD BLACK

A couple of these to support the flowers and a reflector:
Delta | Single Arm, Dual Large Clamp | 46030 | B&H Photo Video
or something similar
delta arm | B&H Photo Video

One of these to reflect light as needed:
Impact | Reflector Disc - White Translucent - 12" | R1312
or a small reflective card(s).

One of these to make manual focusing easier:
Novoflex | Focusing Rack Small (Mini) | CASTEL MINI | B&H Photo

I actually don't like the manfrotto centre column design - I find that it wabbles a bit if not at the very centre of the setup when in the horizontal position- and also if your not a right angle adaptor then your tripod head is stuck on its side which is limiting for mobilty.
as for reflecters would not a 5 in one be a better investment (getting more for your money's worth - and the other colours would be interesting to use creativly).

Also manfrotto make a Plamp which is similar to the suggested support arms (I even know a macro shooter who uses it to hold insects on stems!)
The Novoflex I really like the look of - I have a manfrotto focusing rail and it works ok, but takes some getting used to. ITs worst problem is that if you have a bigger camera on a smaller one with a grip you have to mount the camera sidways otherwise the camera won't fit (when using the tripod collar one a lens - which is advisable since it offers the best weight distribution)

[
quote=Overread;1541735]I actually don't like the manfrotto centre column design - I find that it wabbles a bit if not at the very centre of the setup when in the horizontal position- and also if your not a right angle adaptor then your tripod head is stuck on its side which is limiting for mobilty.
I don't find it a problem, but I am using the older 3021 which I love. For head's a good ball head will let you position about any way you want.

as for reflecters would not a 5 in one be a better investment (getting more for your money's worth - and the other colours would be interesting to use creativly).

Not really. You are wanting something small, light and usable for macro, not portrait shoots. My five in one's are 46" and 42 X 60" to provide a lot of light for a lot of area. One of my favorite reflectors for macro is just a piece of foam board about 8X8 or 8X10.

Also manfrotto make a Plamp which is similar to the suggested support arms (I even know a macro shooter who uses it to hold insects on stems!)
The Novoflex I really like the look of - I have a manfrotto focusing rail and it works ok, but takes some getting used to. ITs worst problem is that if you have a bigger camera on a smaller one with a grip you have to mount the camera sidways otherwise the camera won't fit (when using the tripod collar one a lens - which is advisable since it offers the best weight distribution)
[/QUOTE]

I love the Novaflex. I have an arca-swiss QR plate on the bottom and an arca-swiss QR clamp on the top to speed things up. Arca-swiss is expensive but well worth the money.

not going to dissagree on the arca-swiss - I have seen some great stuff for it and heard a lot of good reports - but as you say it costs :(

As for the reflecters - I am sure I have seen smaller 5 in 1 reflector sets. I do agree you don't need something massive for macro.

I am still learning macro work so i don't want to expense myself. I thought using the kenko extension tubes allows you to focus even closer to your subject. When I bought my Macro set I hoping for that but anyway. This thread had turned very interesting and I appreciate all the ideas and tips and even equipment. I try abd work with the extension tubes some more and see where I am going wrong.

tubes to allow you to focus closer to the subject - that is how they work. They boost your magnification by allowing you to move the lens closer to the subject. The trade off is the loss of your longer distance focusing.
If your finding trouble try posting some example shots and mention where you think there are problems - it gives us something to work with and an idea of how your framing and seeingthe subjct

tubes to allow you to focus closer to the subject - that is how they work. They boost your magnification by allowing you to move the lens closer to the subject. The trade off is the loss of your longer distance focusing.
If your finding trouble try posting some example shots and mention where you think there are problems - it gives us something to work with and an idea of how your framing and seeingthe subjct

I try and take a few today and see where I am going wrong.

Most reactions

Back