Macro lens for Digital Rebel XT?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lumenshroom, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Lumenshroom

Lumenshroom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Title. I'm extremely new to photography so bear with me, but I have another question. Does that particular camera comes with a "normal" lens or do you need to purchase one?

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This depends on what you understand by the term 'Normal Lens'. In 35mm film terms, that meant a 50mm lens which was considered to be the one that gave the closest approximation to what your eye saw. In APS-C sensor size digital cameras, that translates into about a 35mm lens. The answer to that is no. In fact there are only a couple of these lenses out there.

More and more I'm finding when people, especially those more recently into photography speak of a 'Normal Lens' they refer to a mid-range zoom. Something in the 20 - 80mm range. In that case, then yes, almost all of the consumer-grade DSLRs can be purchased as kits with one or two lenses.

Your thread title asks about Macro lenses; what did you want to know about them?