macro lens help

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dak1b, Jan 7, 2010.

1. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello All!

I was very interested in investing in a new macro lens for canon. Whats a good but not too expesive macro lens for canon?

thanks!

2. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    From what I have heard, the 60mm 2.8 USM from canon is nice for the price. I haven't used it personally but I plan to purchase one in the future.

3. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. WTF?

WTF? TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^yes, any canon lens will fit your camera.
    you should also consider the canon 100mm 2.8 macro, it shouldnt be too much more expensive than the 60, but itll get you closer to your subjects

5. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its about $180 more...i dunno if i want to spend that much. i was already hesitate in spending round $400 for a macro.

6. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You will not be disapointed by spending the $180. It is an incredible lens and also works great for a portrait lens. I think if you bought the 60mm eventually you will have wished you would have bought the 100mm. With any macro work you will also need some sort of flash.

8. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you are planning to take smaller insect type photos, I think it is better to have a longer focal length macro lens. I have Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 non-USM lens (older version), and sometimes, I wish it is longer. :) But in general, I like it around that range,

I bought my lens from ebay for around $320 or something similar, so check and see if you can locate one.

Also, there are some third party macro lenses also pretty good. The sigma 105mm F/2.8 Macro and Tamron 90mm F/2.8 have high ratings as well.

9. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

hmmm i'll have to think bout it. i really enjoy macro photography, but also i'm a beginner in macro photography. macro is the favorite genre though...hmmmm

10. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    so with the canon 100mm macro how close do u have to b to take an extreme close up of an insect. curious...

11. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At 1:1 you are about 6in give or take 1in. If you enjoy taking pictures of insects I really would look into the 100mm focal length range. I do not think you will be happy with the 50mm or 60mm. The only lens that I would trade my Canon 100m for is the 100mm IS L version. The 180mm may be the best of the 3 but I have never used one, you also have to use a tripod with the 180mm. With the 100 I hardly ever use a tripod with insects because they are always on the move. I had pretty good luck handholding and shooting with this lens. You will also need a flash if you want to handhold and get any decent DOF. I would recommend you wait until you can afford the 100, but thats just my opinion.

12. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ya the L lens is really nice but the price isn't :p i'm leaning towards the canon macro 100mm...i just have to wait awhile before I can afford it. I do really want a good quality macro lens I don't want to be disappointed. I think the canon 100mm macro lens will fit all my expectations and then some!!! Can I just use my external flash that comes with my camera?