macro lens help

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
im thinking about buying a macro lens but im not sure which to get

im thinking maybe the EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro. I already own a 24-70mmL which has a macro feature but it doesnt get as close up as i would like to get, would the 60mm be better for this?

any help appreciated

*EDIT* I understand it is only compatabile of the EOS dSLR's. but I dont plan to upgrade my 20d for a couple of years at least.

I was looking for a macro with more 'umph in it'.... i currently have the 70-300 super macroII which gets to 1:1 macro...... but this isn't close enough for me..... then i saw the results woody was getting with his set up and started to drool...... check the link below...... its just extension tubes with a relatively cheep x2 converter...... as long as you have a decent prime lens its a low cost but very effective method of getting 'real' macros..... and you'd struggle to get in this close with any macro lens...... of course you loose AF..... but i think thats what i'm gonna go for next.

p.s. make sure you scroll down to see the actual size of the dandelion.

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47842

Archangel said:
I was looking for a macro with more 'umph in it'.... i currently have the 70-300 super macroII which gets to 1:1 macro...... but this isn't close enough for me..... then i saw the results woody was getting with his set up and started to drool...... check the link below...... its just extension tubes with a relatively cheep x2 converter...... as long as you have a decent prime lens its a low cost but very effective method of getting 'real' macros..... and you'd struggle to get in this close with any macro lens...... of course you loose AF..... but i think thats what i'm gonna go for next.

p.s. make sure you scroll down to see the actual size of the dandelion.

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47842

thanks for the link Arch, those are some super close shots Woodsac got. I don't own any primes at the moment so i would need to buy one of them too.

My cursor is currently hovering over the "check out" button at warehouseexpress.com .... too much temptation ... :x

yea, there are advantages to getting the macro lens..... its obviously alot more user friendly........ with the ext tube set up, you need plenty of light, the dof and focus are difficult and you need alot of patience, so you may be better off with the lens..... i wanted all that gear for the novelty value really ;)

Most reactions

Back