Macro lens on eBay for $35, any good? Should I take a chance?

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would definitely avoid it. Assuming the intended use is close-up work, I would either save your money for a real macro lens... or alternatively, choose between plain close-up filters, extension tubes, or an adaptor for lens reversal (all of which will almost certainly produce better results and for less money than that "lens").

What should a decent, not high-end, but one that produces fairly good results, cost? I want a macro lens so bad so I can take awesome bee shots, but don't know which to look for.

i have one pretty much exactly the same as this. if you're looking for something really cheap to just play around with, i guess i'd suggest it, but its not going to give you razor sharp images or anything. its functional, but theres' better out there

For a decent priced Macro lens, would I be looking at one with about F4-5.6? Are ones with better F stop a lot more expensive? With a macro, is it better to have a long telephoto like 180mm, or something short like 35mm?

For a decent priced Macro lens, would I be looking at one with about F4-5.6? Are ones with better F stop a lot more expensive? With a macro, is it better to have a long telephoto like 180mm, or something short like 35mm?

true 1:1 lenses are prime like the canon 60mm macro or the nikkor 105mm micro and they are mostly f/2.8 a nice cheap high quality macro is the sigma 50mm f/2.8 it costs around 300 dollars and gives you true 1:1, remember if the lens says macro on it is doesnt means its a true macro lens it will focus close but the magic word to look for is true 1:1 focusing http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3252&navigator=5

If tight shots of insects are what you are after then yes I would recommend a longer focal length. With a 50mm or similar length you will have to get closer and obviously this may scare off the subjects.

humm there is a lot of marco talk today....
anyway I just pick up the sigma 180mm F3.5 marco.I decided on this because of the longer reach. I got it used for 477 bucks.
here is a like to a review site that I found helpfull they review nikon, sigma, tramon,tonkia glass .
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
good luck with with it :)
can't wate to get mine!

Most reactions

Back