Macro lens or tele lens + closeup lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by MDesigner, Jun 16, 2008.

1. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From what I can tell about my own telephoto lens with macro settings as opposed to, for example, our member doenoe's dedicated macro lens, his takes MUCH better photos than mine does in its macro settings. The telephoto lens in macro settings offers you only 1:2 (so doenoe explained to me on here only a short while ago), while a dedicated macro lens offers you a 1:1 ratio, which is what you want when you REALLY want to go into macro photography.

But let the real and true macro photographers such as doenoe or TCimages reply. They know what they have and can better recommend things. All I know is that a telephoto lens with macro settings only gets you halfway into macro photography. It is a pleasant toy, but if you mean to become more serious about it, you'll soon wish you had something better. (I'm at this point just now).

3. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pardon my dumb question here, but I've seen people talk about 1:2, 1:1 ratio when talking about lenses.. what does the ratio refer to exactly?

4. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    1:1 is where the image on the film/sensor is the same as the object being photographed - 1:2 is half size, 1:4 is quarter etc.

5. Moglex

Moglex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The macro lens will undoubtably give you far better results that adding a close up lens.

There are three reasons for this:

1) The macro lens is a prime lens and all else being equal they always have the edge over a zoom.

2) The macro lens is designed from the ground up for macro work so wherever compromises need to be made they are made to favour the macro side of things.

3) Adding extra curved glass to the light path (i.e. glass other than a filter) is always going to spoil the quality of the main lens even with an extremely expensive close up lens such as the one you are suggesting.

The main lens is designed as a complete unit with all the elements interacting in a defined and optimised way. You cannot then add some further element and expect the quality to be unimpaired.