Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by macdsean, Jul 4, 2008.

1. macdsean

macdsean TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am looking to pick up a good macro lens for my Nikon D50. I have been looking at the Nikon 105mm f2.8 G ED AF-S VR Macro Lens. Does anyone have any experience using this lens? I would also be interested in any other suggestions you might have for other macro lenses. Thanks.

2. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I highly recommend photosig.com

You can sort images by lens used -- and there are zillions of excellent images for most of the lenses you can imagine. Here's a link to Nikon 105 Macro, but not sure this is the one you mean (I'm a Canon user) ... you should check out the others. http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=15776

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I've used the 105mm VR for a bit, and although it was very good, it had too many little flaws for me to justify its cost. At 1:1 macro focusing, the lens actually has a maximum aperture of f/4.8 because of its Internal Focusing, and although it isn't that much of a problem, it can sometimes be if you're only after shutter speed.

Also, when I tested it, the lens hunted like mad. It would take, on average, 2-3 tries before the lens would actually focus.

However, if you can work your way around these, then yes, the 105mm Micro VR is a fantastic lens; well built and the image quality is great.

4. macdsean

macdsean TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds like it has some problems. Is there something else that you like better for taking macro shots?

5. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't used it, but I like the sound of the AF-S 60mm f/2.8 Micro. It seems like it has the advantages of the 105mm without the disadvantages. It still has an f/4.8 max aperture at 1:1 repro. ratio (internal focusing), but I don't think it hunts as much. Plus it's cheaper.

Try each lens out at a camera store. You might find that you don't get any problems at all with the 105, and you love it. These are just my opinions. Enjoy!

6. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Budget? I just picked up a used Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens for next to nothing with the handy 1:2 macro feature and it seems to work pretty well. I have no idea what ratio this is, but this is way closer than any of my other lenses will get.

[​IMG]

If you happen to have the 18-55 kit lens, that does 1:3.2 which is pretty darn close. Otherwise you're looking at anywhere from $300 on up for a dedicated 1:1 macro lens. Oh, I also have a 70-300VR and if you plop a Canon 500D close-up filter on it you'll get 1:1.1 macro that way. Would be similar with a 70-300G or ED version too, although probably not as sharp.

7. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a Sigma 105mm 2.8 used ebay for $280.00 it works great... sharp and cheap...

8. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, speaking of third party lenses, the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro is supposedly a great lens too. Never shot with one of these either, but from all that I've heard it's great.

9. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Tamron is supposed to be one of the best in that focal length range. It was a hard decision between my Canon 100mm and the Tamron 90.