qmr55

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.sl3designs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys...

Looking to get into macro photography with small up close products. I shoot with a Canon T5, what lens do you recommend for macro? I am not looking to spend an outrageous amount, so I don't mind sacrificing a little quality for the lower price. This won't be a full time use lens, mostly used for a special project here and there.

Thanks!

60mm f/2.8 for about 400 bucks or less!

Or if you have a little more money, the 100mm 2.8

Orrrrr for a lot more money (than the 60mm), get the 180mm f3.5 for the macro lens I would say most canon pro photogs use.

also, get some adapter rings - they're super cheap!

Canon 100 2.8 macro (non-L) ~ $350 used

I would advise agianst getting the ultra cheap extension tubes. Ultra cheap ones mean that they will lack any internal metal contacts; they will simply be spacers in the setup. As a result you'll lose all lens control - such as aperture and focusing. Whilst losing focusing isn't a problem (most macro is done manually); losing aperture control is a big problem and annoyance.

Kenko make a good and affordable set of extension tubes which give you 3 tubes of varying length with have the metal contacts.

I would advise agianst getting the ultra cheap extension tubes. Ultra cheap ones mean that they will lack any internal metal contacts; they will simply be spacers in the setup. As a result you'll lose all lens control - such as aperture and focusing. Whilst losing focusing isn't a problem (most macro is done manually); losing aperture control is a big problem and annoyance.

Kenko make a good and affordable set of extension tubes which give you 3 tubes of varying length with have the metal contacts.

some models have a DOF preview button were you can set the aperture with cheap extension tubes,
But in general, yes, get the metal Kenko extension tubes with contacts

some models have a DOF preview button were you can set the aperture with cheap extension tubes,
But in general, yes, get the metal Kenko extension tubes with contacts

Aye there are some work arounds which can be used; but they vary brand to brand and even within a brand depending on the lens type.

Most reactions

Back