macro lense/next lens question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Hock, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hock

Hock TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I am thinking about purchasing the Canon 100mm f2.8 IS L Macro lens. Does this work just as well as a non-macro lens?

I am interested in doing some nature and macro photography. I currently have a canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6, and a tamron 28-75 f2.8. Should I be looking into getting wider lens instead? My thoughts on the 100mm was that it would kill 1.5 birds with a stone, get a macro lens as well as increase my zoom range. lmk what you guys think. All on a canon Xsi body

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes - you can use it just like any other lens.

The only negative thing will be that the AF will hunt in less than optimal light. That's typical of macro lenses though.

In good light, the AF is lightning fast.

You already have 2 wide lenses. Why get another? The 100mm macro is an awesome lens.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Have a read of this thread here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-you-were-buy-macro-lens-right-now-canon.html

a similar question to your own and the link Derral posts is worth reading as well. For nature photography, before the 100mm IS L was released the sigma 150mm really was one of the more popular choices for its longer range (not just more working distance but a little better at being a grabshot lens of other wild/nature based subjects).
    The IS of the 100mm L is a tempting feature and for regular use a real boon to have in a telephoto lens.