Macro Lenses

sambrody44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can I use my 75-300mm f/5.6 lens for macro work?

[copy past]
75-300mm? if it has the word "macro" in its lens title then you would be able to yes. If not then it would only be able to do macro with extension tubes added.
I would also suspect it to be a 1:2 macro and not 1:1 - that means only half the magnification of a true macro lens - good for closeups and larger insects (some big spiders and butterflies) but you won't be seeing the multifacited eye of the insect at fullsize

really shoudn't post the same question twice ;)

Technically, by it's self... no. It will do closeup photography, but true macro is usually defined as 1:1 magnification.

With extension tubes however, you could get to the macro range. Something like this. Tubes (these are for Canon, they make them for all the other typical DSLR's as well) These can be stacked together. They contain no glass, they are just tubes that when placed between a lens and a body to give you the ability to focus closer than the lenses minimum focus distance. They are a good way to get into macro with out buying a dedicated macro lens.

Last edited:
Which tube would I need to make my lens into a macro lens?

Depends on what the lens is to start with. Just because something has a long focal length doesn't mean it can focus on something close up. My 70-200 for instance can focus only down to 1metre. Far from a macro lens, and then at it's closest focus point the lens is incredibly soft.

Extension tubes move the lens further away changing their focal point. So instead of being able to focus from infinity to 1m you may be able to focus from 8m to 50cm.
http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/ExtensionTube.htm here's some examples of what various tubes do.

Tokina 100mm Macro, if you have Canon/Nikon, gets great reviews. Wish they had a Pentax mount...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back