Macro or Close-up lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rbeene, Sep 11, 2006.

1. rbeene

rbeene TPF Noob!

What is the advantages or differences in a Macro lens and a Close-up lens? The Close-up lenses appear to resemble filters. I have seen both advertised but do not know when you would want one or the other. Some of the Close-up lenses come with +1d, +2d, +4d, and macro +10d.

I have a Rebel Xt with the standard 15-55mm and 75-300mm lenses. As you can tell I am a beginner trying to learn photography.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

As with most things, this is an issue of price vs. quality. The close-up filters are not really expensive but don't offer a great image quality compared to a real macro lens, which of course is fairly expensive. The quality of close up filters will vary...again, the more you pay, the better quality you will get.

I have a set of Hoya close up filters (+1, +2 & +4). The image quality is alright but not great. You can stack them to get more magnification, but that just degrades the quality even further. Don't get me wrong, the image quality is not terrible, but a true macro lens is better.

Another option would be extension tubes. They go behind the lens and allow you to focus closer, which give you more magnification. They don't introduce any glass so the image quality should be the same as the lens you are using.

3. rbeene

rbeene TPF Noob!

Thanks for the response, good information.