Macro question

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm wondering how people take certain macros. Some you can take freehand, but the super close ones, and I'm sure most of the really good ones, seem to have to be taken with a tripod. How do you get so close to the subject with a tripod, though? The legs distance the camera from whatever object you're trying to photograph, are there certain tripod that eliminate this?

Some tripods (not mine) have a horizontal arm to put the camera out away from the pod.

I use a Manfrotto 190Pro with a centre column that can be set horizontally along with a macro focusing rail. For stuff that doesn't have to be shot in situ, I have a macro stand made out of an old enlarge chassis that allows for extremely precise movement of the camera.

There are a handful of different ways. Yes a tripod is a must, along with mirror lock, and Delayed shutter release.

I use a cheap wall mart tripod and bellows and it works well enough for me. As far as lenses go I have macro shot super close with all sorts of lenses including a 50mm 1.4 standard prime (used here). Although one of my favorites is prolly a 135mm (Setup seen Here)

When shooting macro like this, stationary objects is your best friend. When using mirror lock, delayed release, long exposures, and small apertures some really neat things can be done with Macro.

Additionally, I like to keep several flashlights handy, they are far more reliable than a flash for those tricky lighting situations. In fact I won't use a flash for macro work my self, but there are others here that swear by them.

*EDIT*

WOW, I misread the OP, I second what epp_b sais, use a longer lens.

For all my macro work I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a pistol grip head.

I think also most of the super close shots are taken at greater than 1:1 macro - 1:1 and 2:1 macro (that is a normal macro lens with 2*teleconverter) are handholdable - though definatly not simple (especially with 2:1).
Past that you really do need to have a tripod as the plane of focus is so small. Further you are then into the realms of adding lots of additional bits to your lens or (better) using a canon MPE 65 macro - which can get to 5:1 macro (and is infact the only lens to do so - yep nikon don't make one!)

I think also most of the super close shots are taken at greater than 1:1 macro - 1:1 and 2:1 macro (that is a normal macro lens with 2*teleconverter) are handholdable - though definatly not simple (especially with 2:1).
Past that you really do need to have a tripod as the plane of focus is so small. Further you are then into the realms of adding lots of additional bits to your lens or (better) using a canon MPE 65 macro - which can get to 5:1 macro (and is infact the only lens to do so - yep nikon don't make one!)

No, A TC effects a Macro lens the same way it effects a normal lens. Atrificially inflating focal length, not macro scale. If you want to push the Macro ratio you need extention tubes. Extention tubes are different in thay do not have glass in them.

The Glass in a TC magnyfies an image a little yes, but it's within Xx# bounds of the lenses focusing range as it applies to the film plane, you and your camera body can be further away to focus on the subject at hand. An extention tube however move the lens away form the sensor/film plain. This changes the point in wich the light bends before reaching the sensor. ET allow you to get closer with the lens, but the film plane must stay with in the focusing range of the lens at hand as if the lens where on the body. The farther you get the lens from the camera body the bigger the macro ratio.....I think.

I could be wrong on the technical stuffs, I don't play with tech books and numbers, I just tinker with equipment till it looks cool, but one thing I know is right is that a TC is not a macro enabling device, the extention tube is.

hmm I agree on a non macro lens that a TC is not macro enablaing whilst an extension tube is, but I am sure I have read (by another hand) that a teleconverter on a macro lens increases magnification.

hmm I agree on a non macro lens that a TC is not macro enablaing whilst an extension tube is, but I am sure I have read (by another hand) that a teleconverter on a macro lens increases magnification.

Well give me a week and I'll find out one way or another, I have a 2X TC and a Macro prime and a bellows. I just have to take the shots.

I did expariment with a TC'd 50mm 1.4 with macro filters, the results where that of a 100mm with macro filters, it was the results I was was expecting but the photos where pretty much crap. I'll have to process those in a little wile just because.

did some reading - Closeup and Macro A Photographers Guide by Robert Thompson - he writes that teleconverters do extend the focal length - meaning a greater working distance and that they also increase the level of magnification.
also from my own works - this shot was taken with the 150mm macro and a 2*teleconverter:
IMG_1269.jpg

whilst this is as close (and as big) as I can get with only the 1.4 TC
IMG_0071.jpg

of course one has to be focused at the maximum point to get this effect - and 2* is hard to focus and compose with - really its a tripod combo for resting insects and stacked shots

Wow, that first fly needs a shave!

I never thought to try my TC's with my macro lens -- gonna have to try it!

1.4 is great - good increase and still hand holdable.
The 2* is a pain - you really need perfect side on or above angles as the depth of field is razor thin - fun challenge though. For the two above I was handholding, but sitting on the ground at the time - if standing I think the 2* is too tricky - time for a tripod.

...I did expariment with a TC'd 50mm 1.4 with macro filters, the results where that of a 100mm with macro filters, it was the results I was was expecting but the photos where pretty much crap. I'll have to process those in a little wile just because.

For those who are curious, as it turns out I only had one that was of enough value to warrent scan.
Taken with Canon 50mm 1.4 with stacked macro filters through aquarium wall on 2X teleconverter.
126397_009_1_2_3.jpg

I like that - the details look well captured - though I think you need to clean you crabtank - and possibly add more light to the combo - as it is it looks a little dark.

Most reactions

Back